multi GB file uploads

mcrose

I've written theh standard applicaiton for our client to allow indexed
(customer name, subject etc) file uploads via secure http using the
<input type='file'> http element.
This works great, and has the added benefit over FTP that I can begin
processing the file data stream while the download is in progress.
Yeah.

The client is happy, but now they want to upload multi GB files. The
http request are limitted to something like 2 or 4 GB. I need to
upload 10-100 GB files.

Software Artisans FileUploadEE looks like a great solution with way
more features than I need but it clocks in at a tidy . . . well, you
need to talk to a sales rep to get a price.

My questions to the group:
1. Is the 4GB limit a browser limitation or an IIS/Apache limitation?
2. Does anyone know of any open source or <$100 java applets, or COM
objects that would accomplish what I'm looking for?

Greg Collins [Microsoft MVP]

Can you write some code which breaks the file into chuncks, uploads the chunks, and then reassembles them into a single file on the server?

Joerg Jooss

Thus wrote mcrose,
I've written theh standard applicaiton for our client to allow indexed
(customer name, subject etc) file uploads via secure http using the
<input type='file'> http element.
This works great, and has the added benefit over FTP that I can begin
processing the file data stream while the download is in progress.
Yeah.
The client is happy, but now they want to upload multi GB files. The
http request are limitted to something like 2 or 4 GB. I need to
upload 10-100 GB files.

Software Artisans FileUploadEE looks like a great solution with way
more features than I need but it clocks in at a tidy . . . well, you
need to talk to a sales rep to get a price.

My questions to the group:
1. Is the 4GB limit a browser limitation or an IIS/Apache limitation?

Depends on how a particular server implements file uploads, especially whether
it caches a file completely in memory. A 10 GB upload will blow up any ASP.NET
web app, unless your server has *lots* of memory.
2. Does anyone know of any open source or <$100 java applets, or COM
objects that would accomplish what I'm looking for?

I'd rather consider using Windows Communication Foundation streaming or BITS
for such monstrous uploads.

Cheers,