mySQL Ruby Gem and MAMP mySQL

Mark Meijer

I'm not having much luck installing the mysql Ruby gem to use the mySQL
in MAMP, anyone tried this?

Using MAMP v1.7.1.
Ruby Gems v0.9.5

arbutus:mysql walkinthere$ sudo gem install mysql --
--with-mysql-config=/Applications/MAMP/Library/bin/mysql_config
Password:
ERROR: Error installing mysql:

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby
extconf.rb install mysql --
--with-mysql-config=/Applications/MAMP/Library/bin/mysql_config
checking for mysql_ssl_set()... no
checking for mysql.h... no
checking for mysql/mysql.h... no

Gem files will remain installed in /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7
for inspection.
Results logged to /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7/gem_make.out

Mark Meijer

thanks Louis,

Does the mySQL Ruby Gem then point to mySQL in MAMP?

Or to the external mySQL that comes with OSX?

louis

my guess--and it's *only* a guess--given the instructions on that
page, is that he compiled his own mysql (looking at his dir) and that
it'll point to whichever one you want it to. but i want to repeat:
<caps>i have no experience with mamp or what you're trying to
do</caps>. i was just offering my thoughts for what they might be
worth.

good luck.
:)

louis