Problem install mysql Gem OS 10.6.4

Younes Baghor

Hello there,

I'm trying to install the Mysql Gem but getting error's.
I read a few artikels on the forum here, but honestly i don't understand
the problem.

Im running ruby 1.8 on a mac osX 10.6.4

ERROR =
-------

sudo gem install mysql
ERROR: Error installing mysql:

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby
extconf.rb
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lm... yes
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lz... yes
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lsocket... no
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lnsl... no
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lmygcc... no
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
details. You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
--with-opt-dir
--without-opt-dir
--with-opt-include
--without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
--with-opt-lib
--without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
--with-make-prog
--without-make-prog
--srcdir=.
--curdir
--ruby=/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby
--with-mysql-config
--without-mysql-config
--with-mysql-dir
--without-mysql-dir
--with-mysql-include
--without-mysql-include=${mysql-dir}/include
--with-mysql-lib
--without-mysql-lib=${mysql-dir}/lib
--with-mysqlclientlib
--without-mysqlclientlib
--with-mlib
--without-mlib
--with-mysqlclientlib
--without-mysqlclientlib
--with-zlib
--without-zlib
--with-mysqlclientlib
--without-mysqlclientlib
--with-socketlib
--without-socketlib
--with-mysqlclientlib
--without-mysqlclientlib
--with-nsllib
--without-nsllib
--with-mysqlclientlib
--without-mysqlclientlib
--with-mygcclib
--without-mygcclib
--with-mysqlclientlib
--without-mysqlclientlib

Gem files will remain installed in
/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.8.1 for inspection.
Results logged to
/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.8.1/ext/mysql_api/gem_make.out

And Here is the mkmf.log file =
-------------------------

find_library: checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient...
-------------------- no

"gcc -o conftest -I.
-I/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0
-I. -I/usr/local/include -D_XOPEN_SOURCE -D_DARWIN_C_SOURCE -arch
i386 -g -Os -pipe -fno-common -DENABLE_DTRACE -fno-common -pipe
-fno-common conftest.c -L.
-L/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib
-L/usr/local/lib -L. -arch i386 -lruby -lmysqlclient -lpthread
-ldl "
conftest.c: In function ‘t’:
conftest.c:3: error: ‘mysql_query’ undeclared (first use in this
function)
conftest.c:3: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
conftest.c:3: error: for each function it appears in.)
checked program was:
/* begin */
1: /*top*/
2: int main() { return 0; }
3: int t() { void ((*volatile p)()); p = (void ((*)()))mysql_query;
return 0; }
/* end */

"gcc -o conftest -I.
-I/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0
-I. -I/usr/local/include -D_XOPEN_SOURCE -D_DARWIN_C_SOURCE -arch
i386 -g -Os -pipe -fno-common -DENABLE_DTRACE -fno-common -pipe
-fno-common conftest.c -L.
-L/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib
-L/usr/local/lib -L. -arch i386 -lruby -lmysqlclient -lpthread
-ldl "
ld: warning: directory '/usr/local/lib' following -L not found
ld: library not found for -lmysqlclient
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
checked program was:
/* begin */
1: /*top*/
2: int main() { return 0; }
3: int t() { mysql_query(); return 0; }
/* end */

I think i'm missing a library or file but i have no idee where or what
to do.
Some help would be nice thx

Edmond Kachale

Younes,

I stopped using mysql gem. The whole gem is messed up seriously.

When I had the same problem on my Ubuntu, I just installed *libmysql-rub*,
restarted the mysql-server and everything was roses. This solution worked o=
Ubuntu versions 8.04, 8.10, 9.04, 9.10 and 10.04. I'm sure there must be a
corresponding library in OSX 10.* .

But if you still insist to have mysql gem, then try this one out:
http://blog.maxdunn.com/articles/2006/12/12/installing-mysql-gem-on-mac-os-=
x-10-4

Edmond Kachale

2010/9/20 Edmond Kachale said:
Younes,

I stopped using mysql gem. The whole gem is messed up seriously.

When I had the same problem on my Ubuntu, I just installed *libmysql-rub*= ,
restarted the mysql-server and everything was roses. This solution worked= on
Ubuntu versions 8.04, 8.10, 9.04, 9.10 and 10.04. I'm sure there must be = a
corresponding library in OSX 10.* .

I meant to say *libmysql-ruby.
*
But if you still insist to have mysql gem, then try this one out:
http://blog.maxdunn.com/articles/2006/12/12/installing-mysql-gem-on-mac-o= s-x-10-4
.

Gem regards,

---
Edmond
Software Developer | Baobab Health Trust (http://www.baobabhealth.org/) |
Malawi

Cell: +265 999 465 137 | +265 881 234 717

*"Every Rubygem has its own gemspec"* -- Edmond Kachale

2010/9/20 Younes Baghor <[email protected]>

Hello there,

Luis Lavena

Younes,

I stopped using mysql gem. The whole gem is messed up seriously.

Really? How? Please provide the real details.

I package the MySQL/Ruby extension as a gem and tested in Ubuntu, Snow
Leopard, Leopard and even Windows.

Please be more specific on what you mean by that.

It is clear from the mkmf.log output that either the wrong mysql or
the wrong compilation options are attempted to be feed into the
compile process.

Younes Baghor

Luis said:
Really? How? Please provide the real details.

I package the MySQL/Ruby extension as a gem and tested in Ubuntu, Snow
Leopard, Leopard and even Windows.

Please be more specific on what you mean by that.

It is clear from the mkmf.log output that either the wrong mysql or
the wrong compilation options are attempted to be feed into the
compile process.

if it works with you can you tel me how for snowleopard. For you it is
obvious but not for me
thanks
webwizart

Luis Lavena

if it works with you can you tel me how for snowleopard. For you it is
obvious but not for me

How you installed MySQL? using binaries form dev.mysql.com or using
MacPorts (sudo port install mysql5?)

If using ports, it should find the path automatically. If not and was
installed by binary packages, first you need to ensure the binaries
are in the same architecture your Ruby installation.

After checking that, you need to ensure mysql_config or mysql5_config
is available in the path (using which).

Then you can provide it to the gem installation process:

gem install mysql -- --with-mysql-config=/path/to/mysql/bin/
mysql_config

Younes Baghor

Luis said:
How you installed MySQL? using binaries form dev.mysql.com or using
MacPorts (sudo port install mysql5?)

If using ports, it should find the path automatically. If not and was
installed by binary packages, first you need to ensure the binaries
are in the same architecture your Ruby installation.

After checking that, you need to ensure mysql_config or mysql5_config
is available in the path (using which).

Then you can provide it to the gem installation process:

gem install mysql -- --with-mysql-config=/path/to/mysql/bin/
mysql_config

Everybody thanks voor the help, also i have to apologize to all of
you.
Because i forgot that i had a clean install of OSX, So wen Luis wrote:

"How you installed MySQL? "

I remembered that i dident instlall MySql.

Again i apologize
Younes Baghor