Parameters not passed to/by extconf.rb?

Greg Slodkowicz

Hi,

I'm trying to install the mysql-2.7 gem on Mac OS X Leopard with the
default ruby installation (1.8.6). According to what I googled the
following command

sudo ruby extconf.rb --with-mysql-dir=/usr/local/mysql

should work, but it doesn't (I tried installing directly with gem and
various combinations of options, preceding the options with -- rtc., to
no avail). I get the following output:

erato:mysql-2.7 jergosh$ sudo ruby extconf.rb
--with-mysql-dir=/usr/local/mysql --with-mysql-lib=/usr/local/mysql/lib
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lm... yes
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lz... yes
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lsocket... no
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lnsl... no
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no

*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
details. You may need configuration options.

(...)
--ruby=/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby
--with-mysql-config
--without-mysql-config
--with-mysql-dir
--with-mysql-include
(...)

It seems to me that the --with-mysql-dir is somehow not passed to the
configure script. If so, how can I fix that? If not, what else should I
try?

TIA,
Greg