Need Basic ASP.NET Guidance

Steven

Using VS2005 on my local dev machine, I went to File > New > Web Site, and
under Templates, I selected ASP.NET Web Site. Then I selected FTP as the
Location, entered ftp://www.myserver.com/test, selected VC# as the Language
and clicked OK. The Test website was successfully created on a remote Windows
2003 server running IIS 6.0. VS2005 created a Default.aspx. Within the
<title></title> tags of default.aspx, I simply entered Testing, and from the
Build menu in VS2005, I clicked Build Web Site.

On the dev machine, I try to browse to the website using the following URL:

http://www.myserver.com:8080/Test

The port number of the Test website on the IIS server was changed to 8080,
b/c there is another website on the same IIS box that is already using port
80. When I use the above URL all that appears in my web browser is:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

•Internet connectivity has been lost.
•The website is temporarily unavailable.
•The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
•The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's
domain.
•There might be a typing error in the address.
•If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options,
click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled
under the security section.

I'm sure the problem as nothing to do with the bullet points displayed in
the browser. If I user Remote Desktop to connect to the IIS server and browse
the website, it displays fine. The title Testing appears in the titlebar of
the browser when I use either one of the following URLs:

http://myserver:8080/Test
http://localhost:8080/Test

I've never setup a website for the Internet before and I'm looking for some
guidance on how to get this basic website to work. I eventually want to bind
this website to a backend database, but I'm in big trouble if I can't get
even this most basic website to appear in my browser.

When I used VS2005 to FTP the new website to my IIS box, I pointed to an FTP
location that is *not* under C:\inetpub. I pointed to an FTP location that is
on drive D, which is a secondary drive on the Win 2003 server. So the Test
website is actually on D:\myfolder\Test.

In IIS, if I look at the "properties" of the virtual website "Test", it
points to the path on drive D as the home directory. This website uses port
8080, and it has Read, and Scripts and Executables permissions. I tried
switching the website from anonymous access to Windows Auth, but this did not
help. As a matter of fact, the browser on the dev machine is never prompted
to enter Windows credentials when I try to browse to
http://www.myserver.com:8080/Test. The browser encounters the msg above
before a prompt ever occurs. Also in the "properties" of the Test website,
under the ASP.NET tab, I swichted it from ASP.NET 1.x to 2.x, but this didn't
help either. Under the IIS "Web Server Extensions", I made sure that the
ASP.NET v2.x is allowed.

One thing I noticed is that when I created the website using VS2005, it
never created any *.config files, such as web.config. Should VS2005 have
created a web.config for my new Test website?

Can someone tell me what else I should try in order to resolve this problem?

Thanks so much.