Need help installing ruby and libraries

Jaime Stuardo

Hello everybody...

I want to install Redmine Project Management in my PC (Windows XP),
whose requirement is Ruby On Rails. So I need to install Ruby on my
machine and it is at that point where I've got my first problems.

Other requirements of Redmine are RubyGems 1.3.1 and Rake 0.8.3.

Well, First, I have downloaded Ruby from
http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=3D167 and installed it. It worked =
well.

Then I have downloaded RubyGems from
http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=3D126 and installed it. It worked =
well
too.

Now I have problems installing Rails. The page
http://rubyonrails.org/download says that to install rails I have to
issue this command: gem install rails. After I issued that command, this
error was shown:

ERROR: http://rubygems.org/ does not appear to be a repository
ERROR: could not find gem rails locally or in a repository

I thought I have to download Rails and place somewhere in my disk, so I
downloaded rails-2.2.3.tar file but I don't know how can I tell gem to
load it and install it. By the way, that file was downloaded from
http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=3D307 and strangely although the file
name should be rails-2.2.3.gem, it was downloaded as rails-2.2.3.tar.

Well... giving up with Rails installation, I continued with Rake. I have
downloaded it and in this case I uncompressed the tar file and then
execute the install.rb file with ruby command but I got an error
concerning ftools.

ruby c:\rake\install.rb
c:/rake/install.rb:3:in `require': no such file to load -- ftools
(LoadError)
from c:/rake/install.rb:3:in `<main>'

Well.... to finish fighting with this, I searched for ftools and I have
found that it belongs to the ruby standard library. Well, I downloaded
the file ruby-doc-stdlib-0.10.1.tar and uncompress it. Then, after
changing to that directory, I issued the ruby command again, getting
another error:

ruby install.rb
install.rb:86: formal argument cannot be an instance variable ...on to
DIR/stdlib") { |@doc_base| }
... ^

Finally I gave up and decided to ask to the list.

Why is so difficult to install it? Can you please point me in the right
direction?

Thanks a lot in advanced,
Jaime

Luis Lavena

Hello everybody...

I want to install Redmine Project Management in my PC (Windows XP),
whose requirement is Ruby On Rails. So I need to install Ruby on my
machine and it is at that point where I've got my first problems.

Other requirements of Redmine are RubyGems 1.3.1 and Rake 0.8.3.

Well, First, I have downloaded Ruby from
http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=167and installed it. It worked well.

Please specify which version did you download. Where you installed it,
if you are a member of Administrators group under your computer.

The more details you provide, the better.
Then I have downloaded RubyGems from
http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=126and installed it. It worked well
too.

All the versions of Ruby you downloaded from previous link included
RubyGems, which version did you manually downloaded? How you installed
it?
Now I have problems installing Rails. The page
http://rubyonrails.org/downloadsays that to install rails I have to
issue this command: gem install rails. After I issued that command, this
error was shown:

ERROR:  http://rubygems.org/does not appear to be a repository
ERROR:  could not find gem rails locally or in a repository

Please provide the output of "gem env" command so we know exactly
which version of RubyGems and Ruby you're dealing with.

Well... giving up with Rails installation, I continued with Rake. I have
downloaded it and in this case I uncompressed the tar file and then
execute the install.rb file with ruby command but I got an error
concerning ftools.

Rake is distributed as a gem, should be able to install using
RubyGems. Which version did you donwloaded? from where?
Finally I gave up and decided to ask to the list.

Why is so difficult to install it? Can you please point me in the right
direction?

So far you're the first one reporting these series of issues.

Please provide answers to my previous questions, more details from
your side are required for anyone to be able to help you.

Jaime Stuardo

Hello...

This is the information you requested.

RubyGems Environment:
- RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.3.6
- RUBY VERSION: 1.9.1 (2010-01-10 patchlevel 378) [i386-mingw32]
- INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: C:/Ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1
- RUBY EXECUTABLE: C:/Ruby19/bin/ruby.exe
- EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: C:/Ruby19/bin
- RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
- ruby
- x86-mingw32
- GEM PATHS:
- C:/Ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1
- C:/Documents and Settings/jstuardo/.gem/ruby/1.9.1
- GEM CONFIGURATION:
- :update_sources =3D> true
- :verbose =3D> true
- :benchmark =3D> false
- :backtrace =3D> false
- :bulk_threshold =3D> 1000
- REMOTE SOURCES:
- http://rubygems.org/

I am administrator of my computer.

Rake version is rake-0.8.7 downloaded from =
http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=3D50

What do you mean it is distributed as a gem? From the link above it is =
mentioned the file as rake-0.8.7.gem, but when I click on it, a .tar =
file is downloaded.

Finally, I tell you that I downloaded rails-2.2.3.gem from =
http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=3D307 but the same as above, a .tar =
file was actually downloaded.

Thanks
Jaime

[...]

ERROR: =A0http://rubygems.org/does not appear to be a repository
ERROR: =A0could not find gem rails locally or in a repository

Please provide the output of "gem env" command so we know exactly
which version of RubyGems and Ruby you're dealing with.

Well... giving up with Rails installation, I continued with Rake. I = have
downloaded it and in this case I uncompressed the tar file and then
execute the install.rb file with ruby command but I got an error
concerning ftools.

Rake is distributed as a gem, should be able to install using
RubyGems. Which version did you donwloaded? from where?
Finally I gave up and decided to ask to the list.

Why is so difficult to install it? Can you please point me in the = right
direction?

So far you're the first one reporting these series of issues.

Please provide answers to my previous questions, more details from
your side are required for anyone to be able to help you.

Aldric Giacomoni

Jaime said:
Hello...

This is the information you requested.

RubyGems Environment:
- RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.3.6
- RUBY VERSION: 1.9.1 (2010-01-10 patchlevel 378) [i386-mingw32]
- INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: C:/Ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1
- RUBY EXECUTABLE: C:/Ruby19/bin/ruby.exe
- EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: C:/Ruby19/bin
- RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
- ruby
- x86-mingw32
- GEM PATHS:
- C:/Ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1
- C:/Documents and Settings/jstuardo/.gem/ruby/1.9.1
- GEM CONFIGURATION:
- :update_sources => true
- :verbose => true
- :benchmark => false
- :backtrace => false
- :bulk_threshold => 1000
- REMOTE SOURCES:
- http://rubygems.org/

You can try this:
gem update rubygems
gem install rails

But, I think you should delete / uninstall everything and start over.
http://rubyinstaller.org/download.html
I am almost certain that the Ruby Installer comes with RubyGems
preinstalled, so by reinstalling it you may have broken things.

You should not need to download any gems manually.
Installing Ruby, rebooting if necessary, then typing things in the
command line should be enough:

gem update rubygems
gem install rails

.. It -should- download and install rails for you.

Jaime Stuardo

Hello...

I installed Ruby again and then I run the commands, getting these =
results:

C:\Documents and Settings\jstuardo>gem update rubygems
Updating installed gems
Nothing to update

C:\Documents and Settings\jstuardo>gem install rails
ERROR: http://gems.rubyforge.org/ does not appear to be a repository
ERROR: could not find gem rails locally or in a repository

It's curious that the first command gave the error "Nothing to update", =
since Rubygems version installed was 1.3.5 and there is already the =
version 1.3.6.

These are the new environment:

RubyGems Environment:
- RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.3.5
- RUBY VERSION: 1.9.1 (2010-01-10 patchlevel 378) [i386-mingw32]
- INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: C:/Ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1
- RUBY EXECUTABLE: C:/Ruby19/bin/ruby.exe
- EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: C:/Ruby19/bin
- RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
- ruby
- x86-mingw32
- GEM PATHS:
- C:/Ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1
- C:/Documents and Settings/jstuardo/.gem/ruby/1.9.1
- GEM CONFIGURATION:
- :update_sources =3D> true
- :verbose =3D> true
- :benchmark =3D> false
- :backtrace =3D> false
- :bulk_threshold =3D> 1000
- REMOTE SOURCES:
- http://gems.rubyforge.org/

Thanks
Jaime

- RUBY VERSION: 1.9.1 (2010-01-10 patchlevel 378) [i386-mingw32]
- INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: C:/Ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1
- RUBY EXECUTABLE: C:/Ruby19/bin/ruby.exe
- EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: C:/Ruby19/bin
- RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
- ruby
- x86-mingw32
- GEM PATHS:
- C:/Ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1
- C:/Documents and Settings/jstuardo/.gem/ruby/1.9.1
- GEM CONFIGURATION:
- :update_sources =3D> true
- :verbose =3D> true
- :benchmark =3D> false
- :backtrace =3D> false
- :bulk_threshold =3D> 1000
- REMOTE SOURCES:
- http://rubygems.org/
=20

You can try this:
gem update rubygems
gem install rails

But, I think you should delete / uninstall everything and start over.
http://rubyinstaller.org/download.html
I am almost certain that the Ruby Installer comes with RubyGems=20
preinstalled, so by reinstalling it you may have broken things.

You should not need to download any gems manually.
Installing Ruby, rebooting if necessary, then typing things in the=20
command line should be enough:

gem update rubygems
gem install rails

.. It -should- download and install rails for you.
--=20
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

Brian Candler

Jaime said:
C:\Documents and Settings\jstuardo>gem install rails
ERROR: http://gems.rubyforge.org/ does not appear to be a repository

Are you behind a proxy firewall by any chance? Do you need to configure
your browser with proxy settings before you can access the Internet? If
so I think you'll need to tell Ruby that too. (Unix would be http_proxy
environment variable, not sure about Windows)

You could also see what this does:

telnet gems.rubyforge.org 80
GET / HTTP/1.0

(then hit enter twice). If you get a page of HTML back, you don't need a
proxy. If it fails to connect at all, maybe you do.

Aldric Giacomoni

Brian said:
Are you behind a proxy firewall by any chance? Do you need to configure
your browser with proxy settings before you can access the Internet? If
so I think you'll need to tell Ruby that too. (Unix would be http_proxy
environment variable, not sure about Windows)

You could also see what this does:

telnet gems.rubyforge.org 80
GET / HTTP/1.0

(then hit enter twice). If you get a page of HTML back, you don't need a
proxy. If it fails to connect at all, maybe you do.

Since rubygems says 'nothing to update', I will guess it does a correct
version check, so he does not need a proxy.
___

I had an issue like his before, and the answer had been to remove and
readd the repository:
gem source -r http://gems.rubyforge.org
gem source -a http://gems.rubyforge.org

Now.. I'm wondering why the source isn't the gemcutter source to begin
with!

I think you should try this:

gem source -a http://gemcutter.org
gem install rails
___
If this fails, I found these instructions:

gem install rails --source http://gems.rubyonrails.org

indicates that "rake" is not up to date, I found a mirror
http://de.mirror.rubyforge.org/gems/ and downloaded rake-0.8.7.gem,

and

gem install rake-0.8.7.gem
then

Rake version is rake-0.8.7 downloaded fromhttp://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=50

What do you mean it is distributed as a gem? From the link above it is mentioned the file as rake-0.8.7.gem, but when I click on it, a .tar file is downloaded.

I don't understand why you manually download it:

gem install rake
gem install rails

Both should work, if not:

1) You're not connected to internet
2) You're behind a proxy (is your browser using a proxy
configuration?)

If so, need to do --http-proxy=http://user:pass@server:port/

See: gem help install

3) There is a firewall that is limiting all the downloads from Amazon
S3, where all the gems from rubygems.org are located.
Finally, I tell you that I downloaded rails-2.2.3.gem fromhttp://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=307but the same as above, a .tar file was actually downloaded.

It might be that your browser is not identifying the files with proper
mime-type, but .gem is not a tar file, but instead 2 .tar and gz'ed
files inside.

Jaime Stuardo

Thanks!!! With that proxy setting, rails was installed. When installing =
rails, rake was also downloaded and installed.