Need server-side solution to linking in frames

Pablo

Dear all,

I am doing some maintainance in a JSP website which has been built
using frames (and I cannot remove that unfortunately).

So, I have 4 frames (top, and 3 vertical frames underneath the top).
The frame on the left is supposed to be for navigation, but when I
click on some navigation items, I am enforced to set the target to the
own navigation frame, because I need to do some other processing
(which I cannot avoid), and in the end I am using some javascript code
to change the location of the center frame (which in an ideal case
would be the target of the link on the navigation).

Does anyone know a way to avoid the javascript? Is there anyway that I
can load 2 different urls in 2 different frames via a single link? The
first URL is just a different set of parameters to the navigation
menu, and the second URL is the target of the navigation.

Best regards,
Pablo

Andrew Thompson

Pablo wrote:
I am doing some maintainance in a JSP website which has been built
using frames (and I cannot remove that unfortunately).

That is unfortunate.
So, I have 4 frames (top, and 3 vertical frames underneath the top).
The frame on the left is supposed to be for navigation, but when I
click on some navigation items, I am enforced to set the target to the
own navigation frame, because I need to do some other processing
(which I cannot avoid), and in the end I am using some javascript code
to change the location of the center frame (which in an ideal case
would be the target of the link on the navigation).

How about.. link to a single new ..
framedpagess.jsp&param=value
..that in turn loads the altered navigation and content pages.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

Pablo

That's a better than what I have now, however I will still require
javascript to load the links, which would generate other 2 requests
(and they are really slow)...
Thanks for the tip anyways!