Need your recommendations

Dave Theese

Hello all,

Can anybody recommend a newsgroup for me to check out that discusses tools
used for static checking of C++ code? Basically, I'm talking about tools
that do things such as the following:

Check for unused variables
Check for dead code
Check for common language mistakes such as if (a = b)
etc...

I'm sure you get the idea (Lint kind of stuff). Any suggestions on where I
can go to get educated on the tools currently available?

Thanks,
Dave

Alf P. Steinbach

Can anybody recommend a newsgroup for me to check out that discusses tools
used for static checking of C++ code? Basically, I'm talking about tools
that do things such as the following:

Check for unused variables
Check for dead code
Check for common language mistakes such as if (a = b)
etc...

I'm sure you get the idea (Lint kind of stuff). Any suggestions on where I
can go to get educated on the tools currently available?

C++ code is very difficult to parse, because it's very ambigious
at the syntactic level.

Therefore any tool that analyzes C++ code has to do essentially all
that a compiler does, except code generation.

Why don't you simply use a decent C++ compiler?

What do you want that's different from what a C++ compiler does?

C++ is not C.

Peter van Merkerk

Dave Theese said:
Hello all,

Can anybody recommend a newsgroup for me to check out that discusses tools
used for static checking of C++ code? Basically, I'm talking about tools
that do things such as the following:

Check for unused variables
Check for dead code
Check for common language mistakes such as if (a = b)
etc...

I'm sure you get the idea (Lint kind of stuff). Any suggestions on where I
can go to get educated on the tools currently available?

Recently there has been a discussion going on this subject in
comp.lang.c++.moderated in the thread "Code analyzer".

HTH