Needing a little help with a ruby program

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by spudicus87, Oct 11, 2008.

  1. spudicus87

    spudicus87 Guest

    Ok, so this is what I need to do for the program. I am not the best
    programmer in the world and I need a little help.

    Assignment:

    Create a program that obtains disk usage information from du and uses
    it to print a histogram of the disk usage of the directories given as
    command line arguments. The histogram should consist of a string with
    one hash mark per megabyte of disk usage.

    This is what I have so far.

    require 'fileutils'

    specified_directory = Dir.new("#{ARGV[0]}")

    disk_usage_info = `du #{specified_directory} -a`

    file_size = Hash.new(0)

    disk_usage_file.each_line do |file, size|
    #Builds the hash with the filename and the sizes

    end

    file_size.each do|file, size|
    #changes value to histogram of numbers and shows results

    size = '#' * size / 1024

    if times < 0
    puts file +"\t | " + size

    else
    puts file

    end

    end

    I think I have the first part and the last part down pretty well, I am
    stuck on how to get the du output into the hash so I can output it
    correctly. Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Spudicus87

    spudicus87, Oct 11, 2008

  2. spudicus87