.net 3.0 newbie development questions

JJ

I am thinking about having a look at .net 3.0, but just wondered if someone
can help me with some basic questions:

1. Can you develop projects (mainly web) in Visual Studio 2005 using both
..net 2.0 and .net 3.0 (i.e pick between either framework for each project)?

2. If so, how?

Many thanks,

JJ

Laurent Bugnion [MVP]

Hi,
I am thinking about having a look at .net 3.0, but just wondered if someone
can help me with some basic questions:

1. Can you develop projects (mainly web) in Visual Studio 2005 using both
.net 2.0 and .net 3.0 (i.e pick between either framework for each project)?

..NET 3.0 is an addition to .NET 2.0, and as such was badly named (search
Google groups for numerous discussions around this topic in this very
group).

Basically, you continue to develop WinForms and ASP.NET applications
using .NET 2.0. With .NET 3.0, you are given a few new project types,
for example Windows Presentation Foundation, Windows Communication
Foundation, Workflow Foundation, etc.

For more info about .NET 3.0, check this site:
http://www.netfx3.com/
2. If so, how?

After installing .NET 3.0, you will find new project types in the "New
project" dialog in Visual Studio. That's how you start doing stuff in
..NET 3.0. Your existing .NET 2.0 projects will be left untouched, and
will work just the same.

HTH,
Laurent

JJ

Ah I see.
So, after installing .net 3.0, starting a new web project will still mean it
will run as expected on a web server running .net 2.0?
And the same for windows form apps? (i.e. .net 3.0 will not be required)?

i.e. the .net 3.0 framework would onlt be required on the client
computer/web server, if I chose to create one of the 'new' .net 3.0 projects
that appear?
JJ

Hi,

--
Laurent Bugnion [MVP ASP.NET]

Laurent Bugnion [MVP]

Hi,
Ah I see.
So, after installing .net 3.0, starting a new web project will still mean it
will run as expected on a web server running .net 2.0?
And the same for windows form apps? (i.e. .net 3.0 will not be required)?

i.e. the .net 3.0 framework would onlt be required on the client
computer/web server, if I chose to create one of the 'new' .net 3.0 projects
that appear?
JJ

That is correct.

Greetings,