Will ASP.NET 3.0 work under Visual Studio 2005? And what is a goodnewbie ASP.NET book?

raylopez99

Will ASP.NET 3.0 work under Visual Studio 2005? And what is a good
newbie ASP.NET book?

Subject: Will ASP.NET 3.0 work under Visual Studio 2005? And what is a
good newbie ASP.NET book?

My question is in the title. I have experience with C#, SQL, C++/CLI
and have done exercises in a book on database design, so I'm not a
total beginner, but a recommendation for an intermediate book on
ASP.NET is appreciated.

RL

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=333325FD-AE5...

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
Brief Description
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 contains many new features building
incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0, and includes .NET
Framework 2.0 service pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.0 service pack 1.
Top of page
System Requirements
Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003; Windows Server 2008;
Windows Vista; Windows XP
Processor: 400 MHz Pentium processor or equivalent (Minimum); 1GHz
Pentium processor or equivalent (Recommended)
RAM:96 MB (Minimum); 256 MB (Recommended)
Hard Disk: Up to 500 MB of available space may be required
CD or DVD Drive: Not required
Display: 800 x 600, 256 colors (Minimum); 1024 x 768 high color, 32-
bit (Recommended)

Munna

Hi,

http://www.asp.net/learn/ .. have lot of resouce ... vedio , tutorials
every thing you need...
but still if you want a hardcopy
"And what is a good newbie ASP.NET book? ".....

Professional ASP.NET 3.5: In C# and VB (Programmer to Programmer)
(Paperback)
by Bill Evjen (Author), Scott Hanselman (Author), Devin Rader (Author)

this is a good book for end to end learning..

Best of luck

-----------
Munna

www.munna.shatkotha.com/blog
www.munna.shatkotha.com
www.shatkotha.com

bruce barker

asp.net 3.0, was 2.0 plus the workflow dll. this works fine with vs 2005.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

raylopez99

I would dispute that very strongly. IMO, the "Dummies" series of books
provide an excellent introduction for newbies which, according to the
subject of your OP, is exactly what you are. And nothing wrong with that -
everybody was a newbie on their first day...

The only thing I wish they had done differently is use the word "Beginners"
instead of "Dummies" - not knowing anything about ASP.NET (or any other
subject, for that matter) does not make you "dumb" per se...

Well I bought Wrox for dB programming using C#, which I'm familiar
with, and I learned SQL and dB theory 'Third Normal Form' etc, so I'm
not a total newbie (the GUI is the most important part of a dB, once
you figure out the all important dB architecture I've concluded).
Also I actually had a working dB program in Visual Basic after a week
of tinkering.

The Dummies books are, like you say, for beginners, but they're pretty
primitive. These languages need very specific instructions to learn
I've found--e.g., traversing a collection of objects in a database is
very specific to the framework they are using (i.e. "Grid" layout),
another example is the connection string parameters which are always a
pain and seem to break everytime the Administrator makes the slightest
change in the network-- and this stuff you only learn with specific
step-by-step examples--hopefully the Dummies book will have that--
though after a while if you know Interfaces and enough programming you
can figure it out yourself. An excellent author I found is Frasier,
another is Sells, and Karli Watson is another. But all of their books
(and every book on Computer Science, as has been noted) are full of
typos and errors, which makes learning very hard, for the reason I
outlined above.

RL