.NET Framework 2

Guest

I am a novice using my computer only for home applications. I am running
Win 2000 and I have Office XP Professional 2000 installed. Someplace along
the line NET Framework 2 got installed (Probably with an auto update). Do I
need this program, and what will happen if I uninstall it.

Michael Nemtsev

Hello Claud,

Yep, you need .NET 2.0 (in general all stuff that is installed via autoupdate
as critical is necessary).
Because there are a lot of managed (.NET) application that use .NET as runtime
to be run.

C> I am a novice using my computer only for home applications. I am
C> running Win 2000 and I have Office XP Professional 2000 installed.
C> Someplace along the line NET Framework 2 got installed (Probably with
C> an auto update). Do I need this program, and what will happen if I
C> uninstall it.

---
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev [C# MVP] :: blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsch

Scott M.

Uh, no that's not right.

The .NET Framework is NOT part of the "Critical" updates. It is an optional
update and most people won't need it.

Most of the .NET applications that require the .NET Framework are business
applications. There are not many end-user apps. writtien in .NET at this
time.

While you can remove the .NET Framework from your system, it is certainly
not doing any harm by being there either. If you absolutely need the 24MB
of space used by the Framework, I say you have bigger issues to deal with on
your system.

Michael Nemtsev

Hello Scott M.,

Maybe a little bit wrong with critical part :)

But if we look at which Windows version .NET is shipped with we can see that
in last years .NET 2.0 ships with all new Windows versions. For example .NET
2.0 is included into Windows Server R2 and Vista has 3.0 version.

Btw, number of .net apps is increased steadily, more and more stuff is .net
oriented, especially now when vista is released.

24mb is not that size u need to worry about :)

S> Uh, no that's not right.
S>
S> The .NET Framework is NOT part of the "Critical" updates. It is an
S> optional update and most people won't need it.
S>
S> Most of the .NET applications that require the .NET Framework are
S> business applications. There are not many end-user apps. writtien in
S> .NET at this time.
S>
S> While you can remove the .NET Framework from your system, it is
S> certainly not doing any harm by being there either. If you
S> absolutely need the 24MB of space used by the Framework, I say you
S> have bigger issues to deal with on your system.

Hello Claud,

Yep, you need .NET 2.0 (in general all stuff that is installed via
autoupdate as critical is necessary).
Because there are a lot of managed (.NET) application that use .NET
as
runtime to be run.
C> I am a novice using my computer only for home applications. I am
C> running Win 2000 and I have Office XP Professional 2000 installed.
C> Someplace along the line NET Framework 2 got installed (Probably
with
C> an auto update). Do I need this program, and what will happen if
C> uninstall it.
C> ---
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev [C# MVP] :: blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents
do not cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsche
---
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev [C# MVP] :: blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsche

Scott M.

Michael,

I think your understanding of how widespread .NET applications are is a bit
misguided. There really aren't any mainstream commercial applications
written in .NET that home users would find of use. Most .NET applications
are built for the buisness world. I challenge you to find a .NET
application for sale in your local software store.

Yes, it's true that the .NET Framework is installed in the latest releases
of Windows and it is inclueded with most of MS's server software as well.
But, this is just MS's way of ensuring that *when* and *if* a .NET
application is installed on that machine, the Framework will already be
present. Most .NET developers include the .NET Redistributable with their
app anyway, since many XP users don't have the Framework installed
(remember, the Framework is an optional Windows Update install).

As for the 24 MB, my point was that if you already have the framework
installed, there really is no reason to remove it. The only reason I could
think of to remove it would be to reclaim the 24MB that it takes to install
it and if you are worried about 24MB, then you've got other issues with your
pc anyway.

Michael Nemtsev said:
Hello Scott M.,

Maybe a little bit wrong with critical part :)

But if we look at which Windows version .NET is shipped with we can see
that in last years .NET 2.0 ships with all new Windows versions. For
example .NET 2.0 is included into Windows Server R2 and Vista has 3.0
version.

Btw, number of .net apps is increased steadily, more and more stuff is
.net oriented, especially now when vista is released.

24mb is not that size u need to worry about :)

S> Uh, no that's not right.
S> S> The .NET Framework is NOT part of the "Critical" updates. It is an
S> optional update and most people won't need it.
S> S> Most of the .NET applications that require the .NET Framework are
S> business applications. There are not many end-user apps. writtien in
S> .NET at this time.
S> S> While you can remove the .NET Framework from your system, it is
S> certainly not doing any harm by being there either. If you
S> absolutely need the 24MB of space used by the Framework, I say you
S> have bigger issues to deal with on your system.

Hello Claud,

Yep, you need .NET 2.0 (in general all stuff that is installed via
autoupdate as critical is necessary).
Because there are a lot of managed (.NET) application that use .NET
as
runtime to be run.
C> I am a novice using my computer only for home applications. I am
C> running Win 2000 and I have Office XP Professional 2000 installed.
C> Someplace along the line NET Framework 2 got installed (Probably
with
C> an auto update). Do I need this program, and what will happen if
C> uninstall it.
C> ---
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev [C# MVP] :: blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents
do not cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsche
---
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev [C# MVP] :: blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do
not cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsche

Michael Nemtsev

Hello Scott M.,

S> Most .NET developers include the .NET Redistributable with their app
S> anyway, since many XP users don't have the Framework installed
S> (remember, the Framework is an optional Windows Update install).

We are talking about 2.0 version, not 1.1.
There is no need to include it into installer package (in general), because
ClickOnce do its job well - it check required platform and download FW if
it's missed

S> As for the 24 MB, my point was that if you already have the framework
installed, there really is no reason to remove it.

It's what the OP ask, isn't it? ;)

---
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev [C# MVP] :: blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsche

Guest

Thanks a lot guys. I now understand everything. I guess I will just leave
it in there.

Scott M.

Michael Nemtsev said:
Hello Scott M.,

S> Most .NET developers include the .NET Redistributable with their app
S> anyway, since many XP users don't have the Framework installed
S> (remember, the Framework is an optional Windows Update install).

We are talking about 2.0 version, not 1.1.

It really doesn't matter which version we are talking about. Most .NET
applications (1.1 or 2.0) are business applications, not home user
applications. Again, I challenge you to find a .NET application for sale in
your local software store.
There is no need to include it into installer package (in general),
because ClickOnce do its job well - it check required platform and
download FW if it's missed

S> As for the 24 MB, my point was that if you already have the framework
installed, there really is no reason to remove it.
It's what the OP ask, isn't it? ;)

Yes, and my response is "if it's there, leave it there". But your comments
as to *wny* it should be there were largely incorrect, so I wanted to get
the correct info. out there.
---
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev [C# MVP] :: blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do
not cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsche

Michael Nemtsev

Hello Scott M.,

S> It really doesn't matter which version we are talking about. Most
S> .NET applications (1.1 or 2.0) are business applications, not home
S> user applications. Again, I challenge you to find a .NET application
S> for sale in your local software store.

ok, for example desktop one that I use last couple of years is NNTP/RSS reader
"Omea Reader".
i'm not the end-user, and can't give u the real picture of what do they really
use.
But as developer I see what we and they are creating. For example I've crossed
with number of trading systems (for example one from CQG and AT) which are
the .NET applications

---
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev [C# MVP] :: blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsch

Michael Nemtsev

Hello Scott M.,

Besides, if u search in sourceforge site with "C# + End Users/Desktop" filter
u get about 2500 of .NET desktop apps.
And it's only open-sources part of them

---
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev [C# MVP] :: blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsche

Scott M.

ok, for example desktop one that I use last couple of years is NNTP/RSS
reader
"Omea Reader".
i'm not the end-user, and can't give u the real picture of what do they
really use.

Then how is this relevant to this discussion if you don't know about this
application?
But as developer I see what we and they are creating. For example I've
crossed with number of trading systems (for example one from CQG and AT)
which are the .NET applications

Ok, but a trading system is not a home user application.

Scott M.

Besides, if u search in sourceforge site with "C# + End Users/Desktop"
filter u get about 2500 of .NET desktop apps. And it's only open-sources
part of them

Great, but if you survey actual home users, you won't find .NET apps running
on their machines. I never said that no one makes home user .NET apps, I
said that they are very rare and most home users won't have them. An online
search of what's available is hardly an accurate measure of what people
actually run on their systems.

The vast majority of home users aren't going to search for software online,
they are going to buy it in a bricks and mortar storefront or it will have
been pre-installed on the pc they bought. An so, again, I challenge you to
find .NET apps. being sold in stores. There just aren't any. And (for
right now and the immediate future anyway) that means that the .NET
Framework is not really necessary (contrary to your advice) on a typical
home user's pc.

zobalee

You're absolutely right, Scott.

Most folks will not need the framework at all, of *any* version.

At least not yet. :)

Lee...(.NET developer/consultant)

Scott M.

Well, I'm not sure that uninstalling .NET had anything to do with that. If
you aren't running a .NET application, then the .NET Framework isn't loaded.
In other words, if you aren't running a .NET application, having the
Framework(s) installed won't make your computer slower.