NetBeans and bundles: what are needed ?

SL@maxis

I am trying to get Netbeans IDE for Linux (for Java and C/C++), but a bit
confused what the documentation.

On Netbeans web page, it says Java 6 is needed for C/C++ and PHP.

The next paragraph says JDK6 is needed for all bundles.

My question: do I need both Java6 and JDK6 ?

Thanks for tips (trying to cut down some headche.

Lew

SL@maxis said:
I am trying to get Netbeans IDE for Linux (for Java and C/C++), but a bit
confused what the documentation.

On Netbeans web page, it says Java 6 is needed for C/C++ and PHP.

The next paragraph says JDK6 is needed for all bundles.

My question: do I need both Java6 and JDK6 ?

JDK 6 *is* Java 6.

But it's on the edge of obsolete:
"After February 2013, Oracle will no longer post updates of Java SE 6
to its public download sites. Existing Java SE 6 downloads already
posted as of February 2013 will remain accessible in the Java Archive
on Oracle Technology Network. Developers and end-users are encouraged
to update to more recent Java SE versions that remain available for
public download."
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html

So what you need is Java 7.

And to read the documentation.
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/version-6-141920.html

Substitute "7" for "6" in the content (not the URL) to get current.
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/jdk7-naming-418744.html

From these sources we see that "JDK" means "Java™ SE Development Kit"
("Due to significant popularity within the Java developer community"
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/namechange-140185.html)
and "JRE" means "Java™ SE Runtime Environment". There is also "Oracle
Java SE Advanced and Oracle Java SE Suite",
http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/java/standard-edition/advanced-suite/overview/index.html,
not to mention versions from IBM and others.

They are all Java SE, be they JRE, JDK, Advanced or whatnot.

Since NetBeans is a Java program, it requires Java to run. Since you are
developing code, it needs the development kit for Java, in addition to
the runtime.

In your case, Java 7.

SL@maxis

So what you need is Java 7.

And to read the documentation.
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/version-6-141920.html

Substitute "7" for "6" in the content (not the URL) to get current.
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/jdk7-naming-418744.html

From these sources we see that "JDK" means "Javaâ„¢ SE Development Kit"
("Due to significant popularity within the Java developer community"
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/namechange-140185.html)
and "JRE" means "Javaâ„¢ SE Runtime Environment". There is also "Oracle
Java SE Advanced and Oracle Java SE Suite",
http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/java/standard-edition/advanced-suite/overview/index.html,
not to mention versions from IBM and others.

They are all Java SE, be they JRE, JDK, Advanced or whatnot.

Since NetBeans is a Java program, it requires Java to run. Since you are
developing code, it needs the development kit for Java, in addition to
the runtime.

In your case, Java 7.

Whew, the documentation is overwhelming, just like when I started with
"windoze".

Thanks, that should save me some head-banging.