New property difference between IE and Firefox

Pauljh

Hi All,
Can someone please explain why the following code works in IE but
not firefox please.
In ie I get an alert box with "mynewprop" but in Firefox I get
"undefined".

Help much appreciated.

Ta!!

Paul

<head>
/>
<title>Untitled Document</title>

<script type="text/javascript">
function init() {
var hello=document.getElementById('hello');
alert(hello.newprop);
}
</script>
</head>

<a id="hello" newprop="mynewprop">
</a>

VK

Pauljh said:
Hi All,
Can someone please explain why the following code works in IE but
not firefox please.
In ie I get an alert box with "mynewprop" but in Firefox I get
"undefined".

Help much appreciated.

Ta!!

Paul

<head>
/>
<title>Untitled Document</title>

<script type="text/javascript">
function init() {
var hello=document.getElementById('hello');
alert(hello.newprop);
}
</script>
</head>

<a id="hello" newprop="mynewprop">
</a>

What you are getting on document.getElementById('hello') is DOM
Interface to the element, not the element itself. And Firefox doesn't
expose custom attributes in the DOM Interface. For an universal
coverage of custom attributes you should manipulate element's node
directly by using hasAttribute, getAttribute, setAttribute methods.

Use this instead:

function init() {
var hello=document.getElementById('hello');
alert(hello.getAttribute('newprop'));

Pauljh

VK said:
Pauljh wrote:
<snip>

What you are getting on document.getElementById('hello') is DOM
Interface to the element, not the element itself. And Firefox doesn't
expose custom attributes in the DOM Interface. For an universal
coverage of custom attributes you should manipulate element's node
directly by using hasAttribute, getAttribute, setAttribute methods.

Use this instead:

function init() {
var hello=document.getElementById('hello');
alert(hello.getAttribute('newprop'));
}

VK,
Brilliant, thanks!!