a simple form. Call it form #1 which contains a textfield for an e-mail
address and a submit button. I use form #1 to connect to a db2 database
via a supplied java based API that was written by my company. This API
then returns some XML about the person attached to that e-mail address.
If the e-mail address is not found I need to redirect to an eror page.
If the e-mail address IS found in the database, I need to strip out
just the e-mail address, put it into some kind of variable and redirect
the user to another form (Form #2) populating the e-mail field in Form
#2 with that same e-mail address. What techniques should I be looking
into to learn what I need to know? If it were php and mySql I could
have had the project finished in the length of time ot took me to write
this post lol. Thanks All!

isamura

: Hi all,
:
[snip]
: I have
: a simple form. Call it form #1 which contains a textfield for an e-mail
: address and a submit button. I use form #1 to connect to a db2 database
: via a supplied java based API that was written by my company. This API
: then returns some XML about the person attached to that e-mail address.
: If the e-mail address is not found I need to redirect to an eror page.
: If the e-mail address IS found in the database, I need to strip out
: just the e-mail address, put it into some kind of variable and redirect
: the user to another form (Form #2) populating the e-mail field in Form
: #2 with that same e-mail address. What techniques should I be looking
: into to learn what I need to know? If it were php and mySql I could
: have had the project finished in the length of time ot took me to write
: this post lol. Thanks All!
:
I assume you need to write the form-action handler to process the submit button action. In that
case, you have two options:

1. Servlet
2. Scriptlet

I personally prefer Servlet over Scriptlet because I want to keep java code separate from the jsp.

..K

bill

I assume you need to write the form-action handler to process the submit button action. In that
case, you have two options:

1. Servlet

That was my thinking. The form #1 is housed here on our server and the
API is housed on another server which I have no access to. All I get
back is some XML relating to the person in a string. How do I pull the
e-mail out of XML and back into my JSP. Or simply, let JSP know that
this persons e-mail exsists in the db?

isamura

: > I assume you need to write the form-action handler to process the submit button action. In that
: > case, you have two options:
: >
: > 1. Servlet
:
: That was my thinking. The form #1 is housed here on our server and the
: API is housed on another server which I have no access to. All I get
: back is some XML relating to the person in a string. How do I pull the
: e-mail out of XML and back into my JSP. Or simply, let JSP know that
: this persons e-mail exsists in the db?
:
If you know the tag element of the email address, you can parse/filter the xml stream to pull it
out.

..K

Roedy Green

basically stuck. I have some background in programming (ASP, VB) but
I'm having a rough go at getting started with jsp.

I suspect you have no JSP text books in your collection. JSP and
servlets are not that complicated. The hardest part is not barfing at
the ugly syntax.

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jsp.html

Marty Hall is one of the best Java writers around. He has three books
out on the topic.

Jack

Marty Hall is one of the best Java writers around. He has three books
out on the topic.

bravo. I always liked the way that he explained the "why"of things,
rather than just relaying or describing knowledge. And though nothing
suffices in stead of a book for learning at the beginning, he does
have tutorials on the web also.

Roedy Green

bravo. I always liked the way that he explained the "why"of things,
rather than just relaying or describing knowledge. And though nothing
suffices in stead of a book for learning at the beginning, he does
have tutorials on the web also.

I always imagined Marty Hall as a white haired professor with a slight
English accent. I had communicated with him many times over the years
in email. I saw a picture of him a month or so ago. He is quite young
and looks like a football player.

Similarly I imagined Dimitry Leskov at Jet/Excelsior to be tall thin,
Mr. Burns clone, bald about 65, looking like Professor Leimanis, my
advanced algebra prof at UBC. He too is a young "sprout".

Jack

ah well, I'm 6'3", not too heavy/mesomorph but can deadlift over 300
lbs. And I'm no spring chicken, either. I've had two observations
about being, or trying to be, a super programmer:

1) I think it could make your neck thin :) no offense meant to
anybody, but I do tend to live too cerebrally, when concentrating so
much on these things
2) you generally start to lose command of language. Programmers
(generally) are not good at spelling or grammar. I think I'm pretty
good at language. But if I have an intensive job where I code all day,
no chitchat, nothing other than problem solving, I start to lose that.
E.g., my fingers will type out "their" when I damn know well it's
"they're".

Luke Webber

It's not necessarily the case said:
2) you generally start to lose command of language. Programmers
(generally) are not good at spelling or grammar. I think I'm pretty
good at language. But if I have an intensive job where I code all day,
no chitchat, nothing other than problem solving, I start to lose that.
E.g., my fingers will type out "their" when I damn know well it's
"they're".

Not so me. I might get a bit that way when I'm tired, drunk or just
plain hurried, but in general, I'm damned proud of my communication skills.

Luke