Newbie DLL question

Kevin Hamon

Hi there,

I need to use a .dll file in C.
How can I do to use/call its functions ?

Thanks in advance,

KH.

Mike Wahler

Kevin Hamon said:
Hi there,

I need to use a .dll file in C.

The language discussed here, ISO standard C,
does not support '.DLL's or any other such
operating system-specific mechanisms. See:
http://www.angelfire.com/ms3/bchambless0/welcome_to_clc.html
How can I do to use/call its functions ?

I'd ask for information about DLL's from their inventor:
www.msdn.microsoft.com

For further discussion, see a newsgroup about Window
programming, e.g. comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32

-Mike

Eric Sosman

Mike said:
I'd ask for information about DLL's from their inventor:
www.msdn.microsoft.com

Off-topic, but for the record: Microsoft "invented" DLLs
in exactly the same way they "invented" browsers, the Web, C,
binary arithmetic, the integrated circuit, electricity, and
the Gregorian calendar.

Finny Merrill

(e-mail address removed) (Kevin Hamon) wrote in
Hi there,

I need to use a .dll file in C.
How can I do to use/call its functions ?

Thanks in advance,

This isn't as much a C program as a windows program. Ask
in a windows programming newsfroup.

dg

Eric Sosman said:
Off-topic, but for the record: Microsoft "invented" DLLs
in exactly the same way they "invented" browsers, the Web, C,
binary arithmetic, the integrated circuit, electricity, and
the Gregorian calendar.

append to list

dos (baught form some pour fellow in seatale)
windows (halled out of xeroxes trash bin)

Mark McIntyre

dos (baught form some pour fellow in seatale)
windows (halled out of xeroxes trash bin)

two things:
1) you need a spell checker
2) so what if Bill bought QDOS, and hired some ex-PARC developers ?
Do you think that IBM invented the PC from scratch? Or that C sprang
full-fledged from DMR's head, and he didn't borrow any ideas from
elsewhere?

dg

Mark McIntyre said:
two things:
1) you need a spell checker
2) so what if Bill bought QDOS, and hired some ex-PARC developers ?
Do you think that IBM invented the PC from scratch? Or that C sprang
full-fledged from DMR's head, and he didn't borrow any ideas from
elsewhere?
oops typed into a news mine

Eric Bernard

Eric Bernard said:
Interesting how such a dumb question can end up in another fight about
microsoft.

This indeed does not belong to this newsgroup, but what you need to read is
in this page:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dllproc/base/dynamic_link_libraries.
asp?frame=true

P.S. Yeah, read the whole thing before attempting to use them.

That was
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dllproc/base/dynamic_link_libraries.
asp?frame=true
Stupid outlook cut the link (if that caused an issue to you)

Joona I Palaste

And how might this work on a non-Microsoft system, which (hint hint)
*also have C implementations*?

--
/-- Joona Palaste ([email protected]) ---------------------------\
"The truth is out there, man! Way out there!"

Paul Hsieh

(e-mail address removed) says...
And how might this work on a non-Microsoft system, which (hint hint)
*also have C implementations*?

You might like to look at:

http://www.azillionmonkeys.com/qed/pe.zip

Its specific to WATCOM C/C++ for *building* DLLs and accessing them from *DOS*
in a way that is seperate from the way Microsoft does in its DLLs (Microsoft's
conventions in general are not followed.) However, it also contains sources
for reading PE executables (and DLLs), and could be modified to access ordinary
Windows DLLs.

I've added the comp.programming newsgroup, so that people who are interested in
answers can chime in/see this as well.