newbie question

Kevin Spencer

Hi Lisa,

You're very welcome! :)

WebControls are actually server-side classes that render HTML in the page at
run-time. They also render JavaScript, but that is generally for the purpose
of handling client-side events on the server. Basically, how it works is,
the control renders both HTML and JavaScript. The JavaScript handles the
client-side event by putting a value into a hidden form field (indicating
which control fired the event) and posting the form back to itself on the
server.

The server thn rebuilds all the page classes and wires up the proper events
to them, and handles the event. It then re-renders the page back to the
client in its new configuration (as a result of the server-side processing).

This is the mechanism that Microsoft came up with for handling client-side
events in the stateless HTTP environment in which they operate.

ViewState is also used to persist the values of WebForm form fields between
PostBacks. It uses another hidden form field to store the state of each form
element between PostBacks.

You will be pleased to know that you can create your own custom Server
Controls as well. We use quite a few here at my company.

I think once you get started with VS.Net, you'll be in programmer heaven!
Other than Windows, it's Microsoft's Crown Jewel (IMHO).

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP