Newbie question

Richard

Hi,

I am trying to learn asp.net through their own starterkit. But when I am
changing the pages I get an error message and that error message persists
even if I delete my changes.

The error message is
Compiler Error Message: BC30560 'Global' is ambiguous in the namespace
'ASPNET.StarterKit.Portal'.

My changes has been working before but this error is too confusing to me.
What am I doing wrong?

Richard

Richard

Don't know what you mean? There was this default namespace
ASPNET.StarterKit.Portal that I haven't changed, but when I try to change
the HTML content on the page, this error message shows up and can't be taken
away (as of right now).

Scott M.

You need to back up a little and give us more information.

You said "I am trying to learn asp.net through their own starterkit.", who
is "their"?

Now, you are saying "There was this default namespace
ASPNET.StarterKit.Portal that I haven't changed". Where are you
encountering this namespace? Who told you about it? Did you reference an
assembly first?

Please tell us "exactly" what you did and what you are tyring to do.

Richard

OK, I realise I have to be more specific. I am sorry.

I have downloaded a kit from asp.net. It is based on modules and I have
successfully been able to change existing modules and also create new
modules.

But today I tried to edit a page that uses the common file global.asax. This
class has a function called getApplicationPath(request). When I try to run
this function the error message pops up.

I am probably missing something and since I am new to this I don't where to
start eliminating the errors. It is probably a very easy correction that
needs to be done.

I did change the assembly name to something else but then I changed it back
to the original name again, but this didn't cause the problem to begin with.

I have changed the solution filename.

I notice that the namespace is the same in all files:
ASPNET.StarterKit.Portal
Can this name be changed if it is done in all files?

Any help is appreciated

Richard

Richard

Also, the files that are having problems have been copied into the project
at a later time. Could that cause any problem? Do they need to be
initialized or included or something like that?

Richard

Scott M.

Again, we need more information. What is the "exact" error you are
receiving and what "exactly" are you doing when you get the error.

I would also advise you to try to contact the folks at ASP.NET, since it is
their tutorial you are using.

Richard

The exact error is specified below and I am calling a function that exists
in a class named "global" (described below).
The error message says it is ambiguous which makes me wonder if there are
two classes in the same namespace named "Global" but I haven't found more
that one class named "Global" in the same namespace.

This is the exact description of the problem. I can't be more precise since
I just started using asp.net but based on previous knowledge this
description should be sufficient. Can't you give me some general hints when
dealing with these types of problems?

Richard

Scott M.

Richard,

I really am trying to help, but you've got to give me what I'm asking for.
You said the exact error is in your message, but you didn't include it.
Let's see the EXACT error you are getting (copy the entire error page text
and paste it into a reply here).

Without this information, it is very hard to proceed.

Richard

OK, the error message that I displayed in my first message was:
Compiler Error Message:

BC30560 'Global' is ambiguous in the namespace 'ASPNET.StarterKit.Portal'.

I think it has something to do with the assembly but I don't know at this
point...it is pointing the source file to
c:\windows........framework\v1.0.3705\Temporary ASP.NET
Files\portalvbvs\....x0sfj/ho.vb

When something is ambiguous, what is wrong?

Thanks for being patient with me

Richard

Scott M.

Richard, please post the ENTIRE error message! When the browser displays
the error page and has a yellow banner across the top, copy EVERYTHING on
that screen and post that here.