    Thank you very much.

    LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.
    http://es.voice.yahoo.com

    Alfonso, Nov 12, 2006

  2. There is some overlap, but in general usage, use :: to access names
    that are scoped within modules and use . to send messages (call)
    methods.

    At least while you are getting started, this is the easiest thing to remember.
    pth

    Patrick Hurley, Nov 12, 2006

  3. --------------enig3C92BCECC5B174C5752E94E5

    To be precise, :: and . are completely equivalent operators to call
    methods of an object. I think (not really sure) that an older version of
    Ruby only let you use :: for class methods, but that's no longer the case=
    =2E

    Only :: can be used for constant lookup; it's idiomatic to use . for any
    method calls, as Patrick says.

    David Vallner

    David Vallner, Nov 12, 2006
  4. Alfonso

    Alfonso Guest

    Thank you very much for your answers. So if I have understood right:

    - "::" constants, and module methods
    - "." methods

    I also have read today in "ruby in a nutshell", that "::" is preferred
    also with class methods (but the war wroten in 2001, so it could be a
    bit outdated).

    Alfonso, Nov 13, 2006
  5. Alfonso

    dblack Guest

    Hi --

    My recommendation is:

    "::" for constant paths
    "." for method calls

    I don't think there's any reason to use :: for method calls just
    because the receiver is a class or module. It just adds an
    unnecessary special case.

    David

    --
    David A. Black |