"No symbol" error using pystack gdb macro

debby

I'm relatively new to Python, running Python 3.3 on FreeBSD

I have a process which has started to spike CPU usage. I'm trying to find out what it's doing.

I tried the "pystack" macro suggested here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...om-a-running-python-application/147114#147114

I got the gdbinit macro from:

http://svn.python.org/projects/python/trunk/Misc/gdbinit

When I attach gdb, it tells me it is loading symbols from python3.3m

However when I run pystack I get:

No symbol "PyStringObject" in current context.

Do I need an updated version of the gdb macro for Python3.3?

dieter

I'm relatively new to Python, running Python 3.3 on FreeBSD

I have a process which has started to spike CPU usage. I'm trying to find out what it's doing.

I tried the "pystack" macro suggested here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...om-a-running-python-application/147114#147114

I got the gdbinit macro from:

http://svn.python.org/projects/python/trunk/Misc/gdbinit

When I attach gdb, it tells me it is loading symbols from python3.3m

However when I run pystack I get:

No symbol "PyStringObject" in current context.

Do I need an updated version of the gdb macro for Python3.3?

Many system installed Python versions (all, I have seen so far)
are "stripped", i.e. they lack debugging information.
Such information is necessary in order to use the gdb macros
effectively.

I suggest you install and compile your Python yourself.
Likely, the generated Python will have debugging symbols without
(manual) intervention. If not, the installation instructions should
tell you how to get a Python with debugging symbols.