Noob: Trying to run two python scrips on a pfsense/freeBSD for the OWL-Intuition-LC

vbhoj74

Hi,

I wrote couple of scrips to work with OWL-intution-LC home/office electricity monitor. The concept of the first scrip (owl.py) to capture network multicast from the OWL gateway and write to a .csv file has been taken from a raspberrypi forum and further developed upon to work with sqlite. The secondscrip (responder.py)keeps checking a mail account for any email queries received and responds with a detailed electricity report to the sender.

I've been using owl.py since some days & works fine on the pfsense/freebsd,it has been set to start on boot using shellcmd. The second scrip also works when I execute manually from the shell, but it does not seems to start upon boot how I did for owl.py. I cannot find anything in /var/log/system.log about execution or failure of either scrips.

This question may not exactly relate with python but any help would be appreciated.

Another Q I wanted to ask or rather confirm, I think python does not log anything from scrip runtime/termination and that there is a log library that needs to be used. I find using the log library adding bulk to the code and for every line I suspect of failure in the code I would need to put in an exception to create log ? Is there a better way of logging where it just logs the reason on scrip termination ? I just want to log the msg it shows when manually run in a shell. - Thanks.

Vineet Bhojnagarwala

I've print statements in my code for troubleshooting purpose, but I do not find it in any of the logs in /var/log/, not even system.log. Anything that I need to do for it to write the log ?