notmm is dead!

Etienne Robillard

Dear list,

Due to lack of energy and resources i'm really sad to announce the removal of notmm from pypi and bitbucket. I deleted
also my account from bitbucket as it was not really useful for me. notmm will continue to be accessible from my master
site at http://gthc.org/dist/notmm until the server get down, as I cannot find money to pay for the hosting of notmm.org,
neither anyone to encourage the project so it can grow further.

I have tried to develop a coherent extension for Django using the open source model but I'm afraid to have been
bitten by its failure to encourage a free market over one dictated by profit and the use of cheap tricks to compete unfairly
with perhaps too much openness. I always will also continue to love and use free softwares but sadly it seems asking for a little
fairness is too much asked to competitors dedicated in stealing and subverting my work for their own advantages...

I therefore refuse to continue any longer being mocked by competitors asking excessive prices for having a broken Internet dictated by
a few companies and decide the content I should be visiting.

Shall you have anything you wish saying I'll be open to discuss further on this list. I wish also to thanks the supporters
of the project who have invested time and energy into my business and dedication to the notmm project.

Best wishes,

Etienne

--
Etienne Robillard
Green Tea Hackers Club

"If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich." -John F. Kennedy

Steven D'Aprano

Dear list,

Due to lack of energy and resources i'm really sad to announce the
removal of notmm from pypi and bitbucket.

Well that's just rude. Even if you don't intend to maintain the software
any more, why are you removing it from pypi? Since you say you are a fan
of Open Source software, just flag it as unmaintained and leave it for
somebody else to pick up.

If you are going to abandon the project, release it on PyPI with a dual
MIT and GPL licence, and let it be taken over by somebody else.

If you were looking for sympathy here, starting off by removing your
project from free hosting, then complaining that you can't pay for the
non-free hosting, was NOT the right way to do so.

By the way, the latest version of notmm (0.4.4) has an empty licence
file. No licence means that everyone using it is unlicenced and therefore
infringing your copyright.

Etienne Robillard

Err not exactly.. :)

Firstly notmm is still ISC licensed and available from here http://gthc.org/notmm/dist/.

Secondly i don't want to leave it to the hands of people without I can get a single dime for the work did, however some peoples
don't seem to get this point yet..

My apologies if you feel this removal was rude anyways. Feel free to contact me again
if you need further clarification or would like to take over maintainership of a branch
for a minimal fee.

Kind regards,

Etienne

[...]

Ian Kelly

By the way, the latest version of notmm (0.4.4) has an empty licence
file. No licence means that everyone using it is unlicenced and therefore
infringing your copyright.

It's an ISC license. The notmm-0.4.4/LICENSE file is a link to the
notmm-0.4.4/notmm-0.4.4-rc7/LICENSE file, unless your archiver fails
to reconstruct the link when untarring, in which case the former ends
up as an empty file (but the latter is still present).

Etienne Robillard

You probably have a old tarball or something...

$ wget http://gthc.org/dist/notmm/notmm-0.4.4.tar.gz
$ md5sum notmm-0.4.4.tar.gz
dff1b2ec5373b5157cf79d57169a336e notmm-0.4.4.tar.gz

Cheers,
Etienne

It's an ISC license. The notmm-0.4.4/LICENSE file is a link to the
notmm-0.4.4/notmm-0.4.4-rc7/LICENSE file, unless your archiver fails
to reconstruct the link when untarring, in which case the former ends
up as an empty file (but the latter is still present).

--
Etienne Robillard
Green Tea Hackers Club
Fine Software Carpentry For The Rest Of Us!
http://gthc.org/
(e-mail address removed)

Ramchandra Apte

site at http://gthc.org/dist/notmm until the server get down, as I cannot find money to pay for the hosting of notmm.org, Can't you use Google Code?

[...]

Prasad, Ramit

Well that's just rude. Even if you don't intendto maintain the software
any more, why are you removing it from pypi? Since you say you are a fan
of Open Source software, just flag itas unmaintained and leave it for
somebody else to pick up.

If you are going to abandon the project, release it on PyPI with adual
MIT and GPL licence, and let it be taken over by somebody else.

If you were looking for sympathy here, starting off by removing your
project from free hosting, then complaining that you can't pay for the
non-free hosting, was NOT the right way to do so.

I might be misunderstanding, but I think Etienne wants money in
exchange for letting someone else take over.

8

88888 Dihedral

Prasad, Ramitæ–¼ 2012å¹´10月6日星期六UTC+8上åˆ4時06分31秒寫é“:
I might be misunderstanding, but I think Etienne wants money in

exchange for letting someone else take over.

I think it is OK to have some string attatched in those open source projects.

Nowadays the software industry is just like the perfume and prtinting
and the audio-video entaertainment industry.

The replication cost is so low. Don't forget the lawsuites in Facebook
about the participants charged the founder in the courts.

Michael Torrie

I think it is OK to have some string attatched in those open source projects.

What are you talking about? What "string?"
Nowadays the software industry is just like the perfume and prtinting
and the audio-video entaertainment industry.
True

The replication cost is so low. Don't forget the lawsuites in Facebook
about the participants charged the founder in the courts.

What do lawsuits have to do with replication costs?

I suppose a person can fail a turing test...

Ramchandra Apte

What are you talking about? What "string?"

What do lawsuits have to do with replication costs?

I suppose a person can fail a turing test...

You are talking to a bot.

Dwight Hutto

You did, yes :)

What is failed, but a timeline in this scenario, if you found the
answer in the end?

Failure becomes answer not given in interval required, but did anybody
else, and if so...how many?

alex23

What is failed, but a timeline in this scenario, if you found the
answer in the end?

It was a _joke_ referring to Michael Torrie's email addressing the
88888 Dihedral bot _as if it was a person_.
Failure becomes answer not given in interval required, but did anybody
else, and if so...how many?

23? I really have no idea what you're asking here.

Michael Torrie

It was a _joke_ referring to Michael Torrie's email addressing the
88888 Dihedral bot _as if it was a person_.

Well it would be useful to probe the bot's parameters...