Novice question on 'DetailsForm' and 'Grid'

info

Hi guys.

I have been thrown into the deep end. I don't know ASP, and with my C#
development, I haven't used data aware controls.

I am swimming OK so far (Image uploaded completed, XML/XSL menu
created for the Master Page) but now now I have been asked to create a
few screens that allow updating of small tables. Basically, you select
the category you want to end, and you're presented with a list of
names in that category. You click one in the menu, and are presented
with a 'GridView', which has 'Select' enabled.

Click Select, and a 'DetailsView' is displayed with an 'Edit' and
'Delete' button. The correct data from the selected row in the grid is
displayed.

Click 'Edit' and the fields become active. I edit. When I click
'Save', things go bad. It doesn't save. Now, my code is completely
wrong.. so it's not worth posting. But here it is anyway, to help you
underdtand how tangled I am:

Basically, the case tests for which 'category' is selected. The
'Select' works fine for all categories. The update fails. Actually,
the code below works, as I am hardcoding.

How do I get the UpdateParameter values from the DetailsView?

case "incidentcategory":
{
odsAdministrator.TypeName =
"DAL.Data.AdministratorDSTableAdapters.DTsortCategoryTypeTableAdapter";
odsAdministrator.SelectMethod =
"getCategoryTypeData";
odsAdministrator.SelectParameters.Add("ServiceId",
"4");
odsDetails.DataBind();

if (DetailsView1.SelectedValue != null)
{
odsDetails.UpdateParameters.Clear();
odsDetails.UpdateParameters.Add("Id",
DetailsView1.SelectedValue.ToString());
odsDetails.UpdateParameters.Add("ModifierId",
"1");
odsDetails.UpdateParameters.Add("Name",
"TEST!");
odsDetails.TypeName =
odsAdministrator.TypeName;
odsDetails.Update();
}

odsAdministrator.DataBind();
GridView1.DataBind();
DetailsView1.DataBind();
break;
}

How should I be doing this?

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Hi guys.

I have been thrown into the deep end. I don't know ASP, and with my C#
development, I haven't used data aware controls.

recommended practice) , but this is a classic asp newsgroup. ASP.Net bears
very little resemblance to classic ASP so, while you may be lucky enough to
find a dotnet-knowledgeable person here who can answer your question, you
can eliminate the luck factor by posting your question to a group where
those dotnet-knowledgeable people hang out. I suggest