numpy arrays to python compatible arrays

Javier Montoya

Dear all,

I'm new to python and have been working with the numpy package. I have
some numpy float arrays (obtained from np.fromfile and np.cov
functions) and would like to convert them to simple python arrays.
I was wondering which is the best way to do that? Is there any
function to do that?

Best wishes

Philip Semanchuk

Dear all,

I'm new to python and have been working with the numpy package. I have
some numpy float arrays (obtained from np.fromfile and np.cov
functions) and would like to convert them to simple python arrays.
I was wondering which is the best way to do that? Is there any
function to do that?

Hi Javier,
Since you are new to Python I'll ask whether you want to convert Numpy
arrays to Python arrays (as you stated) or Python lists. Python lists
are used very frequently; Python arrays see very little use outside of
numpy.

If you can use a Python list, the .tolist() member of the numpy array
object should do the trick.

bye

Martin

Hi Javier,
Since you are new to Python I'll ask whether you want to convert Numpy
arrays to Python arrays (as you stated) or Python lists. Python lists
are used very frequently; Python arrays see very little use outside of
numpy.

If you can use a Python list, the .tolist() member of the numpy array
object should do the trick.

bye

as Philip said...though I very much doubt you really want to do this?
Why wouldn't you just keep it in a numpy array?

Javier Montoya

as Philip said...though I very much doubt you really want to do this?
Why wouldn't you just keep it in a numpy array?

Thanks for the suggestions! The main reason not to use a numpy array
is because I'm
using a package that doesn't work with numpy arrays.
With the .tolist() conversion it's now working fine, thanks!