NYJavaSIG Meeting - 1/20/05 - Building a Grid with Java and only 4 API Calls

Frank D. Greco

NY Java Users Group - Jan 2005 Meeting

BUILDING A SCALEABLE ENTERPRISE SERVICE GRID
WITH JAVA AND ONLY 4 API CALLS

Who: Nati Shalom - CTO - GigaSpaces
Duncan Johnston-Watt - CTO - Enigmatec
When: Thursday January 20, 2005
6:00pm - 8:00pm
Where: Sun Microsystems
101 Park Avenue (40th St), 4th Floor
NY, NY 10176
Gramercy Park Room (#4140)
MAPQUEST> http://tinyurl.com/d6pq
MEETING RSVP: www.nyjavasig.com/examples/javasig/MeetingInfo.jsp

--------
ABSTRACT
--------
Grid computing is a form of distributed computing that efficiently
utilizes network resources within an organization and maximizes
the return on IT investment.

The term comes from a programming model that resembles an electric
power grid, where a variety of resources contribute power into a
shared pool for consumers.

How would you like to build such a powerful grid framework using Java?
How would you like to build it with only 4 API calls?
How would you like to build it without the complexity of EJB?

Using the simplicity and power of Jini and one of the Jini services
"JavaSpaces", our January speakers will describe how these technologies
can be used to design and build a grid that is powerful and simple to
understand and extend.

Read this cool article from O'Reilly on why Jini/JavaSpaces should be adopted.
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2004/12/29/jini.html
Its a compelling article. Makes you think twice about SOAP and its disturbed
relatives UDDI and WSDL.

In addition, we'll see some exciting next-generation tools to help manage
such a grid from a new startup from London, Enigmatec.
| Crossroads Technologies Inc. |
| www.CrossroadsTech dot com |
| fgreco at REMOVE!cross!roads!tech!dot com|