Odd asp.net + IIS problem

Joined
Jul 20, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I've been having one hell of a time trying to work on some asp.net applications... I've dug around on the forums a bit and got some things to work, but I'm having a couple more problems that the previous threads couldn't fix.

I've tried everything their threads suggested, such as typing the aspnet_regiis command, and I added the aspnet user to the administrators group, which should take care of the "cannot start aspnet_wp.exe because login is wrong" errors. So I no longer get the HTTP/1.1 500 internal server error.

Just when I think I'm out of the clearing I get more of these "cannot start aspnet_wp.exe" errors

Before doing all of this I tried making a small test.asp file, it worked, then I tried test.aspx, and it didn't work, so I read on more, and then I after adding fiddling some more with machine.config, I added my user account rather than "machine" and "autogenerate" for the password.

After many HTTP/1.1 internal server error 500 messages, I did something where I added the aspnet account to the administrators group, and I thought everything was fine and dandy, until I get something that tells me this: "The Default web access mode for this project is set to file share but the project folder at "localhost\projectname" cannot be opened with the path \\my-host-name\wwwroot$\WebApplication1. The error returned was:

Unable to create Web project "WebApplication1", the UNC share, \\my-host-name\wwwroot$\WebApplication1 does not exist or you do not have access

I'm thinking this is a permissions issue... I don't know... but after I added the ASPNET account to administrators group, I tried the test script again for the test.aspx file and it worked. so I have no idea what's going on thus far... please help...

EDIT: One thing I should probably add... I'm running windows xp pro with sp2, and when I try to use localhost in my browser it doesn't work, but my IP does, I can't run scripts any more as I used to... >_<

EDIT: Ok I added localhost to IIS so now localhost works... but now I get that UNC share can't be found, and I can now run and execute an aspx script... but still it's saying when I create a web application that it does not exist or I do not have permission

EDIT: OMFG, after I added localhost to the directory of accepted IP's for the IIS default web site, and then replace the location of my WebApplication1 from my ip (192.168.1.101) I put in localhost... and miraculously it worked. omfg.

Last edited: