Off topic - To be ignored

Al-Burak

Ever since I started tinkering around the GTK+ and later on Gtkmm
toolkits, I've noticed a steady flow of programmers talking more and
more, and more passionately, about these toolkits.
It came as a blessing when "Sams Teach Yourself GTK+ Programming in 21
Days" was put on the bookstores' shelves in the year 2000. I remember
having to line up at the teller and noticing that two out of five
people had this book in their baskets or under their arms. That was my
queue to get on my newly installed Linux box and start typing GTK+
code, sooner than later, I said to myself, this toolkit will become a
bread maker. Six years have gone by and there are very few programmers
who don't know what GTK+ is, and they are now making bread with it
(that is. are making money with it, in case you don't get my meaning).
I have found many GUI applications written in the C++ paradigm, but
using GTK+ code, which we fondly called "GTK++ code". The reason these
programmers are doing this is because it is easy to learn from a book,
since it can be taken to an unoccupied boardroom or a coffee shop. I
have found myself reading for hours in front of the computer,
neglecting my own biological needs because I cannot take the PC to
attend to them, or in buses or airplanes wishing I was able to just
pull a book and continue reading more about Gtkmm. The flexibility that

printed information provides is undoubtedly unmatchable.
The documentation of Gtkmm is substantial and reach with examples,
however, for some programmers, like myself, who find the eloquence of a

book as important as the dry and tacit information it tries to convey,
as well the ability to carry that information to a more convenient very

important, a book on Gtkmm would come as true blessing.
Gtkmm is no longer a baby child of GTK+, it has become a young adult
deserving of recognition and a status of independence. A book on Gtkmm
*must be written, there is no other option, and this must be done
before new programmers start to drift away, to a less powerful, but
more flexibly documented toolkit.
--
* No puedes ejercer tu fuerza hasta el punto de humillar a otros.
- Jean Chretien

tu Señor no puedes llamarte Su servidor, pues te has convertido en un
servidor de Satanás y de tus caprichos y vanos deseos.
-Sheykg Muhammad ibn 'Uthaymeen
* Es increíble como la diminuta semilla de desconfianza y malentendido

puede producir una bonanza de odio y muerte.
- Jorge Escalante