Official IRC channel for Python?

js

Howdy,

I was wondering if there's official IRC channel for Python.
I tried #python irc.freenode.net and irc.openproject.net with no luck.

Could you please give me some suggestions?

Paul Rubin

Manu Hack said:
Maybe you need your nick name to be recognized. You need to register
your nickname somewhere.

On freenode, you need to register your nick in order to send private
messages, but you can join a channel with an unregistered nick. If
the nick is registered to someone else, you get a message saying to
identify (which in this situation actually means change nicks, since
you presumably don't have the password to identify as the other
person).

Manu, what happens when you try to join? What happens if you change
nicks? Can you connect to freenode at all? Can you join other
channels?

Manu Hack

--

For most of the channels there is not problem joining. Only the
python channel I need to use message nickserv to identify in order to

LIke if I run /join python in irssi it gives #python You need to be
identified to join that channel

so I need to run /msg nickserv identify my_password

and then I can join #python by running /join python.

Manu

Paul Rudin

Paul Rubin said:
On freenode, you need to register your nick in order to send private
messages, but you can join a channel with an unregistered nick. If
the nick is registered to someone else, you get a message saying to
identify (which in this situation actually means change nicks, since
you presumably don't have the password to identify as the other
person).

You can't join #python on freenode without identifying with nickserv
first.

Paul Rubin

Paul Rudin said:
You can't join #python on freenode without identifying with nickserv
first.

Oh, interesting and annoying. I don't know if I've noticed that before.

Torsten Bronger

Hallöchen!

Steve said:
Currently 479 users.

I'd be nice if we could achieve some sort of network effect in
(e-mail address removed). I don't want to start a Jabber v. IRC
debate here; I simply prefer it and maybe others do so, too.

Tschö,
Torsten.

Steve Holden

Torsten said:
Hallöchen!

I'd be nice if we could achieve some sort of network effect in
(e-mail address removed). I don't want to start a Jabber v. IRC
debate here; I simply prefer it and maybe others do so, too.
The best way to achieve this may be to challenge the Twisted guys who
habitually hang out on Python to do it in under ten lines :)

regards
Steve

js

You can't join #python on freenode without identifying with nickserv

Why is that?
I can join #perl, #php, #ruby, #mysql, #postgres without registration.
What advantage does it have? and the advantage really worth?

If #python were the developer's room, I'd say it's reasonable,
but that's not the case here.

Guilherme Polo

2008/2/27 said:
Why is that?
I can join #perl, #php, #ruby, #mysql, #postgres without registration.
What advantage does it have? and the advantage really worth?

The direct benefit is a probability of having less spam, and things
like that. Registering a nickname is pretty easy and don't bring you
problems, so I don't know why you wouldn't want to register one. The
benefit of registering your nickname is that other people won't be
able to use it to do something not so cool.
If #python were the developer's room, I'd say it's reasonable,
but that's not the case here.

Well, a lot of developers hang out there. Some are specifically python
developers and others works in other projects.

There is a rule of NO LOL there too, by the way. It is intended to be
a good channel for answering questions and getting good answers.

Paul Rubin

Guilherme Polo said:
The direct benefit is a probability of having less spam, and things
like that.

I don't remember ever seeing irc spam on freenode. I see it once in a
while on undernet. This is a non-problem.

Guilherme Polo

27 Feb 2008 11:34:54 -0800 said:
I don't remember ever seeing irc spam on freenode. I see it once in a
while on undernet. This is a non-problem.

I'm not just guessing, I know it happens and saw it happenning (even
on python that requires registration).

js

I saw bad guys on IRC a few days ago, but it was not a problem
because Ignore user function in IRC client makes his/her messages invisible.

BTW,who's the maintainer of the channel?