Okay to move an "object" will-nilly?

Frederick Gotham

Al Balmer posted:

Nah, I'm currently set to switch threads on subject change, so it just
pops up again. How about we discuss the World Cup matches, instead?

Might have an alogorithm lying around somewhere to calculate odds.

typedef int bool;

unsigned long CalculateOdds( bool TeamIsFromSouthAmerica );

Thomas J. Gritzan

Richard said:
Frederick Gotham said:

Never heard of.
That is a contraction of "will-he-nill-he" meaning "whether he wishes it or
whether he doesn't", i.e. "like it or not".

You appear to mean "arbitrarily".

My dictionary translates it to 'unordentlich' (german), which can be
retranslated to slovenly, untidily, sloppy.

Th.

Tom Plunket

Frederick said:
English as spoken in Dublin in Ireland. It's true that some of our
grammar and phrases are influenced by the Irish language, but I think our
use of "domestic" is pure English as I can't think off-hand of an
equivalent term in Irish.

It really isn't, though. ;)
We also use the term "domesticated" to indicate that an animal has been
tamed. For instance:

Exactly, "brought into the home." You can look it up in the OED if
you want the Proper English definition. "Domestic" means "of the
domicile," which is your home, roughly speaking.

-tom!

Chris Dollin

Morris said:
Frederick Gotham (in [email protected]) said:

| Take the term, "domestic violence"; I always used to think that it
| meant "common, everyday violence", but now it seems as though it
| actually means "violence in the home". Am I right?

Right. It's another oxymoron,

I thought an "oxymoron" was a phrase where the terms were contradictory,
like "colourless green" or "beautifully ugly" [1]; I don't see anything
contradictory between "domestic" and "violence". (Alas.)

[1] Not to be confused with "military intelligence", which isn't an
oxymoron, but where /describing/ as such implies a contradiction
suited to the speaker's purposes. So I am led to believe.

Richard Bos

Frederick Gotham said:
Nick Keighley posted:

English as spoken in Dublin in Ireland. It's true that some of our
grammar and phrases are influenced by the Irish language, but I think our
use of "domestic" is pure English as I can't think off-hand of an
equivalent term in Irish.

It may be pure Ireland-mutated English, but as normal English I'm afraid
both of those are beyond the pale.

Richard

Morris Dovey

Chris Dollin (in [email protected]) said:

| Morris Dovey wrote:
|
|| Frederick Gotham (in [email protected]) said:
||| Take the term, "domestic violence"; I always used to think that it
||| meant "common, everyday violence", but now it seems as though it
||| actually means "violence in the home". Am I right?
|| Right. It's another oxymoron,
|
| I thought an "oxymoron" was a phrase where the terms were
| contradictory, like "colourless green" or "beautifully ugly" [1]; I
| don't see anything contradictory between "domestic" and "violence".
| (Alas.)

I guess it might matter if "domestic" meant "of the house" or "of the
home". If the latter, I perceive a strong contradiction - but I'm not
sure that distinction is made universally.

| [1] Not to be confused with "military intelligence", which isn't an
| oxymoron, but where /describing/ as such implies a contradiction
| suited to the speaker's purposes. So I am led to believe.

It's a play on the word "intelligence", of course. I spent a few years
in MI and those on the inside would generally agree that it _is_ an
oxymoron. :)

Al Balmer

Chris Dollin (in [email protected]) said:

| Morris Dovey wrote:
|
|| Frederick Gotham (in [email protected]) said:
||| Take the term, "domestic violence"; I always used to think that it
||| meant "common, everyday violence", but now it seems as though it
||| actually means "violence in the home". Am I right?
|| Right. It's another oxymoron,
|
| I thought an "oxymoron" was a phrase where the terms were
| contradictory, like "colourless green" or "beautifully ugly" [1]; I
| don't see anything contradictory between "domestic" and "violence".
| (Alas.)

I guess it might matter if "domestic" meant "of the house" or "of the
home". If the latter, I perceive a strong contradiction - but I'm not
sure that distinction is made universally.

That is my (and most dictionaries) definition. E.g. "Of or relating to
the family or household." The concept is scaled up to include larger
"families", thus we have domestic wine and domestic foodcrops, as
opposed to imported.
| [1] Not to be confused with "military intelligence", which isn't an
| oxymoron, but where /describing/ as such implies a contradiction
| suited to the speaker's purposes. So I am led to believe.

It's a play on the word "intelligence", of course. I spent a few years
in MI and those on the inside would generally agree that it _is_ an
oxymoron. :)

Mark McIntyre

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:03:06 GMT, in comp.lang.c ,
It may be pure Ireland-mutated English, but as normal English I'm afraid
both of those are beyond the pale.

Quite literally, as it happens. I assume you know where the expression
"beyond the pale" comes from? :)
--
Mark McIntyre

--Brian Kernighan

Kenny McCormack

Morris Dovey said:
It's a play on the word "intelligence", of course. I spent a few years
in MI and those on the inside would generally agree that it _is_ an
oxymoron. :)

The word has (at least) two distinct meanings:
1) The ability (to think/reason/etc - generally, acquire
knowledge/information). This is the most common sense.
2) knowledge/information itself (as a commodity). This is the
sense in which the term MI is used.

Kenny McCormack

Al Balmer said:
That is my (and most dictionaries) definition. E.g. "Of or relating to
the family or household." The concept is scaled up to include larger
"families", thus we have domestic wine and domestic foodcrops, as
opposed to imported.

Agreed. First, in the context of the OP (in both senses of that term),
it was certainly an odd choice of word (particularly in the
anal-retentive environment known as clc), but we all got a laugh out of it.
And that's the important thing!

Second, m-w gives this def'n:

4 : devoted to home duties and pleasures <leading a quietly domestic life>

which I could imagine as being "almost there". I would *not* be surprised
to learn that this is, in fact, acceptable usage in Dublin Irish English.

Old Wolf

Frederick said:
struct StringStream {
char buffer[1024];
char *p_pos; /* Points to an element of buffer */
};

If I were writing a domestic sorting algorithm in C, would it be
acceptable for me to re-locate the objects willy-nilly?

No:
1) It could corrupt the object (eg. if it were a struct
StringStream).
2) There may be pointers to the current objects.
3) You don't know how the objects should be allocated.

Old Wolf

Frederick said:
Walter Roberson posted:

I've never thought of the word "domestic" as meaning "from home" or "from
this nation or country"... and only now do I see that that's how
American's tend to use the word.

Take the term, "domestic violence"; I always used to think that it meant
"common, everyday violence", but now it seems as though it actually means
"violence in the home". Am I right?

Another common usage is "domestic terminal" vs. "international
terminal" at the airport.

Frederick Gotham

Old Wolf posted:

3) You don't know how the objects should be allocated.

"malloc" returns a pointer to a byte in memory which is a suitable starting
location for an object of any type.

But yes, if I were to use a simple local automatic storage char array, I'd be
in trouble.

Old Wolf

Frederick said:
Old Wolf posted:

"malloc" returns a pointer to a byte in memory which is a suitable starting
location for an object of any type.

But yes, if I were to use a simple local automatic storage char array, I'd be
in trouble.

They could also be allocated with a custom allocator, and/or
the system might not support malloc.