one9 - a commandline tool to convert 1.8 code to ruby 1.9.2

ghorner

Hi all,
Introducing one9, a commandline tool to make the upgrade to 1.9.2
easier. It works by spying on
your tests and detecting 1.9 changes. Once your test suite finishes,
one9 prints a report listing
the exact locations of methods that have changed in 1.9.

Source: http://github.com/cldwalker/one9
Intro blog post: http://tagaholic.me/2011/03/05/one9-upgrade-to-ruby-19-now.html

I'm curious to hear what is stopping us from upgrading our jobs to
1.9.2. What other tools like one9 could help with this?
Thoughts?

Gabriel

Ryan Davis

Hi all,
Introducing one9, a commandline tool to make the upgrade to 1.9.2
easier. It works by spying on
your tests and detecting 1.9 changes. Once your test suite finishes,
one9 prints a report listing
the exact locations of methods that have changed in 1.9.
=20
Source: http://github.com/cldwalker/one9
Intro blog post: =
http://tagaholic.me/2011/03/05/one9-upgrade-to-ruby-19-now.html

That looks pretty sweet! I'll have to play with that!
I'm curious to hear what is stopping us from upgrading our jobs to
1.9.2. What other tools like one9 could help with this?

A working 1.9 debugger and profiler would be nice. I don't really use =
the former but a lot of ppl seem to. I use the latter a lot.

I still find string encoding to be more than a little PITA. I'd rather =
ruby standardize on UTF8 for at least internal encoding, but probably =
both...

Not having a completely borked rubygems setup would be nice too... but =
we're working on that, albeit slowly. :)