oo programing using PERL

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by alexandre.melard, Jul 14, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    My name is alex, this is my first post so cheerio everybody ;-)

    I am building an oo app using perl, my problem is high level, not the
    code.

    I have a collection of objects. that I call nodes.
    I have other objects called nodegroup
    I want to be able to add nodes to a nodegroup object, so I do:
    $node1 = Node->new(INDEX=>1, NAME => "old name");
    $node2 = Node->new(blablabla);
    $node3 = Node->new(blablabla);

    $ng = Nodegroup->new(NAME=>"group1");

    $ng->addNode($node1);
    $ng->addNode($node2);

    Everything seem to work all right, the problem comes when I change a
    node,
    let say:
    $node1->name("new name");
    when I do :
    print "$ng->getNode(1)->name()";
    I get "old name";

    I found that I was copying the value of $node1 to $ng instead of
    passing a reference.

    I need a short help on oo programing in perl about reference passing,
    if someone feels happy to help me understand, I will be most gratefull.

    Alexandre.

    alexandre.melard, Jul 14, 2005

  2. alexandre.melard

    Keith Keller Guest

    What you do with $node1 depends entirely on the code in sub addNode {}.
    Certainly, if the above code is accurate, addNode's second argument
    ($_[1]) will be a reference pointing to the same place as $node1. You
    might want to post a complete yet short code block that replicates the
    problem (including the code to addNode, at bare minimum).
    This isn't really a question about OO per se, just references. Have you
    read perldoc perlreftut and perldoc perlref?

    --keith

    Keith Keller, Jul 14, 2005

  3. alexandre.melard

    Paul Lalli Guest

    Have you read the documentation and tutorials that come with Perl?

    perldoc perlreftut
    perldoc perlref
    perldoc perldsc
    perldoc perllol
    perldoc perlsub

    In short, all subroutine arguments are passed by reference. The
    members of @_ are aliases to the arguments passed to the function call.

    sub foo {
    $_[0] *= 2;
    $_[1] = 'alpha';
    }

    my ($x, $y) = (4, 4);
    foo ($x, $y);
    print "X = $x, Y = $y\n";
    # prints: X = 8, Y = alpha

    Note that if you make a copy of the arguments in the subroutine, and
    then modify the copy, the originals do not change:

    sub foo {
    my ($one, $two) = @_;
    $one *= 2;
    $two = 'alpha';
    }
    #This does NOT have the same affect as above.
    #X and Y are still 4

    Alternatively, you can pass explicit references as arguments, so that
    when you make copies of the references, they will still refer to the
    same data:

    sub foo {
    my ($ref1, $ref2) = @_;
    $$ref1 *= 2;
    $$ref2 = 'alpha';
    }

    my ($x, $y) = (4, 4)
    foo (\$x, \$y);
    print "X = $x, Y = $y\n";
    #same output as first example

    For more help, please first read some of the perldocs above, and if you
    can't figure out your problem, post a short-but-complete script that
    demonstrates your issue.

    Paul Lalli

    Paul Lalli, Jul 14, 2005
  4. I will do some more reading, I really apreciate your help.

    I will let you know tomorrow morning about my results.

    Thank you

    Alexandre

    alexandre.melard, Jul 14, 2005
  5. alexandre.melard

    xhoster Guest

    I'm pretty sure your problem is the code, not the high level.
    You don't seem to be using strict; shame shame.
    No, you don't. You can't invoke methods within double quotes that way.
    What you get is a stringified reference, followed by
    "->getNode(1)->name()".

    If you want real help, show us real code.

    use strict;
    use warnings;

    my $node1 = Node->new(INDEX=>1, NAME => "old name");
    my $node2 = Node->new();
    my $node3 = Node->new();
    my $ng = Nodegroup->new(NAME=>"group1");
    $ng->addNode($node1);
    $ng->addNode($node2);
    $ng->addNode($node3);
    $node1->name("new name");
    print $ng->getNode(0)->name(),"\n";

    package Node;
    sub new {
    shift @_;
    bless {@_};
    };
    sub name {
    my $self=shift;
    my $return = $self->{NAME};
    $self->{NAME}=$_[0] if @_;
    return $return;
    };

    package Nodegroup;
    sub new {
    return bless [];
    };
    sub addNode {
    push @{$_[0]}, $_[1];
    };
    sub getNode {
    return $_[0][$_[1]];
    };
    __END__
    new name

    Xho

    xhoster, Jul 14, 2005
  6. Ok, I post part of my code in order to be more explicit:

    #!/usr/bin/perl -w

    use strict;
    use Storable;
    use User;
    use Node;
    use Hostgroup;
    use Fcntl qw:)DEFAULT :flock);
    use Term::ANSIColor qw:)constants);

    my $nodes = {};
    my $hostgroups = {};

    .....blablabla.....

    addHostgroup();

    .....blablabla.....

    sub addHostgroup {
    my $end = 0;
    header();
    print "--- ADD HOSTGROUPS---------------------------\n";
    do {
    my $hostgroupCreated = 0;
    my $choice = undef;
    my $name = getText("hostgroup name");
    my $hostgroup = Hostgroup->new(NAME=>$name);
    $hostgroup = addNodes($hostgroup);
    $end = 0;
    do {
    print "---REVIEW-------------------------\n";
    print "[1] name: ".$hostgroup->name()."\n";
    print "[2] Nodes: ".$hostgroup->printNodesName()."\n";
    print "[3] save hostgroup and go to main menu\n";
    print "[4] save hostgroup and create another hostgroup\n";
    print "[5] cancel and go back to main menu\n";
    print "-----------------------------------\n";
    do {
    print "Enter your choice: ";
    $choice = <STDIN>;
    chomp $choice;
    }until ($choice =~ /^\d+|q$/i);
    if ($choice eq 1) { $name = getText("hostgroup name") }
    elsif ($choice eq 2) { addNodes($hostgroup) }
    elsif ($choice eq 3) {
    createHostgroup(HOSTGROUP=>$hostgroup);
    $hostgroupCreated = 1;
    $end = 1;
    }
    elsif ($choice eq 4) {
    createHostgroup(HOSTGROUP=>$hostgroup);
    $hostgroupCreated = 1;
    $end = 0;
    }
    else {
    $hostgroupCreated = 1;
    $end = 1;
    }
    }until ($hostgroupCreated); #create hostgroup

    }until($end); #add hostgroups

    }

    .....blablabla.....

    sub addNodes {
    my $hostgroup = shift;
    my $end = 0;
    do {
    my @off = undef;
    my @on = undef;
    my $i = 0;
    for my $node ( sort keys %{$nodes} ) {
    unless($hostgroup->getNode(NAME=>$nodes->{$node}->{NAME}))
    {
    push @off, "[".YELLOW."$node".GREEN."]
    $nodes->{$node}->{NAME} ";
    }else {
    push @on, "[".YELLOW."$node".GREEN."]
    $nodes->{$node}->{NAME} ";
    print "availables:\n";
    foreach (@off) {
    print GREEN;
    if($i<3 and $_) { print "$_"; $i++;}
    elsif ($_) { print "$_\n"; $i = 0;}
    elsif ($#off eq 0) { print RED, "No more node available",
    RESET; }
    print RESET;
    $i = 0;
    print "\n";
    print "in hostgroup:\n";
    foreach (@on) {
    print GREEN;
    if($i<3 and $_) { print "$_"; $i++;}
    elsif ($_) { print "$_\n"; $i = 0;}
    elsif ($#on eq 0) { print RED, "No node to remove yet",
    RESET; }
    print RESET;
    }
    print "\n";
    print RED, "Press ".YELLOW."q".RED." to Get to main menu\n",
    RESET;
    my $index = getNumber("node index");
    if($index =~ /q/i) {$end = 1}
    else {
    if ($hostgroup->getNode(NAME=>$nodes->{$index}->{NAME})) {
    print MAGENTA, "$nodes->{$index}->{NAME}".RED." removed
    from hostgroup.\n", RESET;
    $hostgroup->delNode($nodes->{$index}->{NAME});
    }else {
    !!! IMPORTANT BIT !!!
    $hostgroup->addNode(\$nodes->{$index});
    !!! IMPORTANT BIT !!!
    print MAGENTA, "$nodes->{$index}->{NAME}".RED." added
    to hostgroup.\n", RESET;
    if($end) {
    if((keys %{$hostgroup->{NODES}}) eq 0) {
    $end = 0;
    print RED, "You need to add at least one node\n",
    RESET;
    } until ($end);
    return $hostgroup;
    }

    package Hostgroup;
    use Term::ANSIColor qw:)constants);
    use strict;

    sub new {
    my $type = shift;
    my %params = @_;
    my $self = {};
    $self->{'NAME'} = $params{'NAME'};
    if (defined($params{'NODES'})) {
    $self->{'NODES'} = $params{'NODES'};
    }else {
    $self->{'NODES'} = {};
    }
    bless $self, $type;
    return $self;
    }

    sub name {
    my $self = shift;
    if(@_) { $self->{'NAME'} = shift }
    return $self->{'NAME'};
    }
    sub addNode {
    my $self = shift;
    my $node = shift;
    bless($node);
    $self->{'NODES'}->{$node->name()} = $$node;
    return $self->{'NODES'}->{$node->name()};
    }
    sub getNode {
    my $self = shift;
    my %params = @_;
    if (defined($params{'NAME'})) {
    return $self->{'NODES'}->{$params{'NAME'}};
    }
    if (defined($params{'IP'})) {
    for my $node_name ( keys %{$self->{ 'NODES' }} ) {
    if ($self->{'NODES'}->{$node_name}->{'IP'} eq
    $params{'IP'}) {
    return $self->{'NODES'}->{$node_name};
    return 0;
    }

    package Node;
    use strict;
    use Term::ANSIColor qw:)constants);

    sub new {
    my $type = shift;
    my %params = @_;
    my $self = {};
    $self->{'NAME'} = $params{'NAME'};
    $self->{'IP'} = $params{'IP'};
    bless $self, $type;
    return $self;
    }

    sub name {
    my $self = shift;
    if(@_) { $self->{'NAME'} = shift }
    return $self->{'NAME'};
    }

    I hope this would be of some help...

    alexandre.melard, Jul 14, 2005
  7. Hi again,
    I tried to change that bit:

    $hostgroup->addNode(\$nodes->{$index});

    in sub addNodes{}

    and sub addNode {
    my $self = shift;
    my $node = shift;
    $self->{'NODES'}->{$$node->name()} = $$node;
    return $self->{'NODES'}->{$$node->name()};
    }

    in package Hostgroup

    but that does not change my problem, when I add nodes to
    $hostgroups->{NODES} and when I modify them in $nodes{}, the
    modifications are not reflected in $hostgroups->{NODES}...

    Any idea?

    alexandre.melard, Jul 15, 2005
  8. alexandre.melard

    xhoster Guest

    This dies all over the place. Don't post part of your code. Simplify your
    code so that it actual runs, actually shows the error you say it does, and
    yet is as small as possible. Then post this entire simplified code.
    Why pass in a reference to node, rather than the node itself (which is a
    reference already)?

    What the heck is this supposed to do? You have now blessed a ref to
    a Node (which is ref to a ref) into the Hostgroup class.
    $node->name() bombs out, because Hostgroup::name is expecting to get
    a hash ref, but instead it gets a ref ref.
    Xho

    xhoster, Jul 15, 2005
  9. Hi there

    Ok, I have solved my problem....

    The problem was not in the code, I new that, a good night of 6 hours
    helped me to see the solution, as usual, "la nuit porte conseil".

    I was trying to STORE a copy of the node in the nodegroup hash, this
    was not the smartest move. Instead of copying the whole object to my
    array, I needed a reference to the object. Then I rode about references
    etc. But this was MUCH to complicated.

    What I needed was just a reference to the object node, not in memory
    but a hard reference that I could use after storing the nodegroup
    object on database or filesystem...

    The solution was right under my node and so obvious no one could spot
    it (I know because of my buggy code).

    What to do was to store a reference in the form of an index associated
    with the node. Therefore if I change the characteristics of the node, I
    am not going to modify its index, which is like our name, it is ok to
    change it but no one can find us anymore ;-)

    So I just stored an array of nodes indexes associated with a nodegroup.
    Thus when changing the name of the node, The changes are reflected in
    the nodegroup as welll...

    I hope this problem can help someone out there.

    Alexandre

    alexandre.melard, Jul 15, 2005
  10. alexandre.melard

    Anno Siegel Guest

    It isn't complicated at all, once you're comfortable with using
    references.
    That would be a different problem that shouldn't be mixed into the
    current one. Read about object persistence.
    I don't see how using an index is less "in memory" than a reference.
    In fact, using an extra array to keep the objects is a complication.
    It *is* sometimes done that way (see Flyweight Objects), but in your
    situation I don't see an advantage.
    The situation that one object serves as a container for other objects
    is a standard situation in OO. The code below shows a solution with
    standard methods of Perl OO. It demonstrates that renaming a node
    has an effect also on the node that is stored in the node group.

    Anno

    #!/usr/bin/perl
    use strict; use warnings; $| = 1; # @^~`
    use Vi::QuickFix;

    my $node = Node->new( 'alpha');
    my $ng = Nodegroup->new( $node);

    print $ng->get_nodes( 0)->name, "\n";
    $node->name( 'beta');
    print $ng->get_nodes( 0)->name, "\n";

    package Node;

    sub new {
    my ( $class, $name) = @_;
    bless { name => $name }, $class;
    }

    sub name {
    my ( $node, $newname) = @_;
    $node->{ name} = $newname if $newname;
    $node->{ name};
    }

    package Nodegroup;

    sub new {
    my ( $class, $name) = shift;
    bless {
    name => $name,
    nodes => [ @_],
    }, $class;
    }

    sub get_nodes { @{ $_[0]->{ nodes}}[ @_] }

    __END__

    Anno Siegel, Jul 15, 2005
  11. Hi Anno and everybody :)
    I modified your script in order to show a bit more clearly my problem.
    When running the script, as you can guess, I get the following error:

    jupiter ssms # perl toto.pl
    alpha
    beta
    Can't call method "get_nodes" on unblessed reference at toto.pl
    line 19.

    modified script:

    #!/usr/bin/perl
    use strict; use warnings; $| = 1; # @^~`
    use Vi::QuickFix;

    my $node = Node->new( 'alpha');
    my $ng = Nodegroup->new( $node);

    print $ng->get_nodes( 0)->name, "\n";
    $node->name( 'beta');
    print $ng->get_nodes( 0)->name, "\n";

    ######## START OF MODIFICATION ##############################

    unless (-e "toto.sto") { system "touch toto.sto"; }
    store(\$ng, 'toto.sto');
    $ng = undef;
    my $toto = undef;
    if (-e "toto.sto"){ $toto = retrieve('toto.sto'); }
    print $toto->get_nodes( 0)->name, "\n";

    ######## END #############################################

    package Node;

    sub new {
    my ( $class, $name) = @_;
    bless { name => $name }, $class;

    }

    alexandre.melard, Jul 17, 2005
  12. alexandre.melard

    Jay Tilton Guest

    wrote:

    : Hi Anno and everybody :)
    : I modified your script in order to show a bit more clearly my problem.
    : When running the script, as you can guess, I get the following error:
    :
    : jupiter ssms # perl toto.pl
    : alpha
    : beta
    : Can't call method "get_nodes" on unblessed reference at toto.pl
    : line 19.

    Adding "use diagnostics;" to your program generates error and warning
    messages with more information. What it would tell you in this case is
    that you have an unblessed reference, i.e. not an object.

    : modified script:
    :
    : #!/usr/bin/perl
    : use strict; use warnings; $| = 1; # @^~`
    : use Vi::QuickFix;
    :
    : my $node = Node->new( 'alpha');
    : my $ng = Nodegroup->new( $node);
    :
    : print $ng->get_nodes( 0)->name, "\n";
    : $node->name( 'beta');
    : print $ng->get_nodes( 0)->name, "\n";
    :
    : ######## START OF MODIFICATION ##############################
    :
    :
    : unless (-e "toto.sto") { system "touch toto.sto"; }
    : store(\$ng, 'toto.sto');
    ^
    ^
    The program stores a reference to $ng.

    : $ng = undef;
    : my $toto = undef;
    : if (-e "toto.sto"){ $toto = retrieve('toto.sto'); }

    Then retrieves that previously stored reference.

    : print $toto->get_nodes( 0)->name, "\n";

    And that reference naturally does not behave as the referent would.

    A Perl object is already a reference. Storing a reference to that
    reference is where your program has gone off its rails.

    Jay Tilton, Jul 19, 2005
  13. Hi
    I got the fact that I was storing the reference, I put this code in
    order to demonstrate that the problem I had was not as simple as it
    seemed and that the only solution I could find was to store a "hard"
    reference to the object.

    Alexandre

    alexandre.melard, Jul 25, 2005