Open decoded base64 pdf in browser

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Mangler, Jan 11, 2010.

  1. Mangler

    Mangler Guest

    I am using the USPS Electronic Return Merchandise API to print labels
    on the web and am at the last point to get this to work, obviously Im
    stuck now.

    The response from the USPS server is an encoded base64 string that you
    need to decode before being able to use things, I was able to decode
    it no problems. Used a component from XStandard to do so.

    I am unsure what to do from here to get the decoded string to open the
    pdf file in the browser.

    I have been able to get a csv file in the past to open like I want the
    pdf but it is not working, the decoded string shows on the page and
    not an actual pdf file.

    Here is my code :

    <%
    Dim objBase64, strImage
    Const otSafeArray = 0
    Const otString = 2
    strImage = "ENCODED_STRING"
    Set objBase64 = Server.CreateObject("XStandard.Base64")
    Response.AddHeader "content-disposition", "attachment;
    filename=test.pdf"
    Response.BinaryWrite objBase64.Decode(strImage, otSafeArray)
    Set objBase64 = Nothing
    %>

    what am I doing wrong?

    Mangler, Jan 11, 2010

  2. Mangler

    Evertjan. Guest

    Mangler wrote on 11 jan 2010 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
    Will this help?

    <http://geekswithblogs.net/Lance/archive/2007/07/18/Shipping-APIs-
    FedEx.aspx>

    Evertjan., Jan 11, 2010

  3. Mangler

    Mangler Guest

    I have seen that but it did not help much.

    Mangler, Jan 11, 2010
  4. Mangler

    Bob Barrows Guest

    I'm not entirely sure, but I believe you need a component from Adobe to
    generate a pdf that can be streamed to a client.

    Bob Barrows, Jan 11, 2010
  5. Mangler

    Evertjan. Guest

    Bob Barrows wrote on 11 jan 2010 in
    or Persits AspPdf:

    <http://www.asppdf.com/>

    Evertjan., Jan 12, 2010
  6. Mangler

    rob^_^ Guest

    Your sample code has syntax errors.

    Regards.

    rob^_^, Jan 16, 2010
  7. Mangler

    Bwig Zomberi Guest

    Try clearing and buffering the response stream.

    Response.Clear
    Response.BufferOutput = true

    Bwig Zomberi, Jan 20, 2010
  8. Mangler

    Bwig Zomberi Guest

    I copied it from ASP.net. Hence the correction:

    Response.Buffer = True

    Bwig Zomberi, Jan 20, 2010