Open source python projects

saurabh

Hi There,
I am an experienced C programmer and recently dived into python,
I have developed an instant love for it.
I have been doing some routine scripting for day to day admin tasks,also
have done some Tkinter and socket programming using python.

I am looking for some open source python project preferably in one of
the above areas (not strictly, am open to others too) to contribute.

Please give me any pointers to some python project which needs a
contributor.

Thanks
Saurabh

Giampaolo Rodola'

Hi There,
I am an experienced C programmer and recently dived into python,
I have developed an instant love for it.
I have been doing some routine scripting for day to day admin tasks,also
have done some Tkinter and socket programming using python.

I am looking for some open source python project preferably in one of
the above areas (not strictly, am open to others too) to contribute.

Please give me any pointers to some python project which needs a
contributor.

Thanks
Saurabh

If you have experience in C system programming then you could help us
with psutil:
http://code.google.com/p/psutil

You might want to take a look at our Milestone wiki which lists some
features we would like to implement:
http://code.google.com/p/psutil/wiki/Milestones

The platforms we aim to support are: Linux, OS X, Windows and FreeBSD.
If you're interested feel free to contact me at [g.rodola -AT- gmail -
DOT- com] or use the psutil mailing list:
http://groups.google.com/group/psutil

--- Giampaolo
http://code.google.com/p/pyftpdlib
http://code.google.com/p/psutil

skip

Saurabh> I am looking for some open source python project preferably in
Saurabh> one of the above areas (not strictly, am open to others too) to
Saurabh> contribute.

If you have some Windows programming experience the SpamBayes project
(http://www.spambayes.org/) could use some assistance. We have been held up
because our existing Windows experts have been too busy to contribute much
for a couple years.

python

Saurabh,

1. The Dabo crew is doing some exciting thing. Might be worth checking
out.
http://dabodev.com

2. The Py2exe project is also looking for help (and some C experience
would be beneficial to this project).
http://py2exe.org

3. There's a bunch of encryption code floating around in native Python
that would benefit from being recoded as native C modules.

Welcome!

Malcolm

Alan G Isaac

I am an experienced C programmer and recently dived into python,
I have developed an instant love for it.
I have been doing some routine scripting for day to day admin tasks,also
have done some Tkinter and socket programming using python.

I am looking for some open source python project preferably in one of
the above areas (not strictly, am open to others too) to contribute.

A one off project ...

If you can help figure out how to produce a Windows installer
of SimpleParse for Python 2.6 and post your experience here,
I believe quite a few projects would profit, not to mention
the SimpleParse users themselves.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac

Michael Ströder

saurabh said:
I am an experienced C programmer and recently dived into python,
I have developed an instant love for it.
I have been doing some routine scripting for day to day admin tasks,also
have done some Tkinter and socket programming using python.

I am looking for some open source python project preferably in one of
the above areas (not strictly, am open to others too) to contribute.

Please give me any pointers to some python project which needs a
contributor.

I'm sure there are many projects which could need a helping hand. But
instead of pointing you to a specific project I'd rather recommend that
you contribute to projects you're using for your own daily work. Why?
Because you simply know what's really needed if you deploy a software
yourself.

Ciao, Michael.

Aahz

I am an experienced C programmer and recently dived into python,
I have developed an instant love for it.
I have been doing some routine scripting for day to day admin tasks,also
have done some Tkinter and socket programming using python.

I am looking for some open source python project preferably in one of
the above areas (not strictly, am open to others too) to contribute.

http://wiki.python.org/moin/VolunteerOpportunities

saurabh

Thanks a lot everyone for your prompt replies. I am really glad to see so
many options for me.
I am sure joining any of the above projects will enrich my understanding
of python and programming.I will just have to find out , to which project
I will be most useful.I will definitely join one of them.

-Saurabh