Open Word Document from a Dialog Web Page

Peter

ASP.NET 2.0

I am trying to open a Word document and Excel document from a dialog web
page, what's the best way to do that?

I have tried the following:

Response.Clear();
Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition", "attachment; filename=" +
file.Name);
Response.AddHeader("Content-Length", file.Length.ToString());
Response.ContentType = "application/octet-stream";
Response.WriteFile(file.FullName);
Response.End();

but I am getting the following error message.

Unable to evaluate expression because the code is optimized or a native
frame is on top of the call stack.

Thank You

Peter

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Peter,

Regarding on the open excel file in dialog page issue, would you provide
some further information such as how to open the dialog page and whether
the dialog page's url is the page that write out excel file or if the
dialog page want to open another page that write out excel file?

Based on my understanding, if the dialog page directy point to the excel
page, it may cause problem due to the client-side browser's dialog model.
Is there any particular requirement that you need to open excel file in
dialog pgae?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

ications.

--------------------

Peter

I have a dialog page and on that page is a submitt button, when a user
clicks on the submit button I want to open a Word or Excel file.
The Word or Excel file already exitst on the web server.

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Peter,

Does the problem definite occur? Based on my test, though the modal dialog
may not display the output word/excel document correct, it will not report
exception at server-side(the Response.End code should get executed
correctly). Is it also specific to a certain office document? You can try
write out a very simple word or excel document to see whether the problem
occurs.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

ications.

--------------------
<[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Open Word Document from a Dialog Web Page
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 14:56:39 -0500

Peter

I've used iframe instead and it works fine.

string officeDocScript = "<div>"
+ "<iframe width=\"75%\" height=\"55%\" name=\"fframe\" src=\"" +
filePath + "\">"
+ "<embed src=\"" + filePath + "\">"
+ "</iframe></div>";