Opening a new window and attaching an onload event listener.

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Daz, Dec 30, 2006.

  1. Daz

    Daz Guest

    Hello everyone,

    I would like to open a child window from the parent, and add an onload
    event listener to the child window which will tell the parent when the
    document has loaded. As far as I know, this shouldn't be an issue, but
    I just can't get it to work. The script only needs to work with
    Firefox/Mozilla, so XP code isn't an issue.

    I have tried to open a window like so.

    var newWindow = open('','','');

    This works as expected.
    Next I redirect the child window:

    newWindow.location.href = 'http://www.google.co.uk';

    Again, this works no problem.
    before the child window is redirected, I have tried several methods of
    adding an onload event listener to the window, from the script inside
    the parent window, but nothing seems to work. I have tried:

    newWindow.onload = windowLoaded;
    newWindow.document.onload = windowLoaded;
    newWindow.addEventListener('onload', windowLoaded, true);
    newWindow.document.addEventListener('onload', windowLoaded, true);

    None of which seem to work. Please could someone explain where I have
    screwed up?

    Many thanks.

    Daz.

    Daz, Dec 30, 2006

  2. Daz

    Fred Guest

    When you open your popup, it contains an empty document. You attach an
    onload handler to the empty document, then re-direct the URL so that
    document is destroyed and a new one is loaded.

    You have to put the onload handler in the new document, you can't
    attach it from the calling page unless you actually write the document
    from the calling page (say using document.write).

    Fred, Dec 30, 2006

  3. Daz

    Daz Guest

    So basically, I need to initiate the page load, and then attach the
    event listener? I'm not sure if that will work. I could right, say a
    carriage return to the child window, but as soon as I change the
    location of the page, I will no doubt lose the event handler.

    What I don't understand, is why I can't attach it to the window, as
    opposed to the document.

    What I am trying to achieve, is an application which can run from the
    parent window, and use the child window to navigate to various pages on
    the site, and get information from each page (such as links, and user
    specific information), so it will effectively work as a macro, saving
    the user time waiting for pages to load and clicking on more links. I
    am not sure the best way to go about doing this, and the best way I
    could think of (above), clearly isn't going to work...

    Thank you for your comments Fred. :)

    Daz, Dec 31, 2006
  4. Daz

    Daz Guest

    Oh I see. I keep getting confused between document, and window. I
    thought it was the _document_ being redirected, not the window. Hehe.

    Thanks for clearing that up for me Jim. :)

    Daz, Dec 31, 2006
  5. Daz

    yuval.invoke Guest

    Hi.
    I've been struggling with the very same issue for the past few days. I
    want to be able to load a new document from a parent window and read
    some parameters from the newly opened document. I too, tried attaching
    an onload event to the new document, but got undefined values when
    trying to read values from the new document. I couldn't find-out why,
    until this thread gave me the answer. So, thanks. But, still, I didn't
    achieve my goal yet, is there a way it can be done?
    Thanks,
    - Yuval

    Daz כתב:

    yuval.invoke, Feb 9, 2007
  6. Daz

    Daz Guest

    I think the only solution would be to have a small function in the
    child window that executes a function in the parent window onload. You
    also need to ensure that the child window is served from the same
    domain as the parent window.

    Daz, Feb 10, 2007