Opinions needed on design of network backup/deploy script

Mike

Is there a tool already written to use to back up and deploy operating
systems and configurations to multiple types and makes of network
devices (routers/switches/cisco/nortel/hp/3com) out there?

I have written some Net::Telnet scripts (thanks! Jay Rogers) to do it as
a quick fix .. but i am looking for something a little more organized
and robust.

I cant seem to find anything out there.. is there something GPL'd that i
am missing?

What does everyone else out there use to maintain configs in their networks?

Thanks
Mike

Uri Guttman

M> Is there a tool already written to use to back up and deploy operating
M> systems and configurations to multiple types and makes of network
M> devices (routers/switches/cisco/nortel/hp/3com) out there?

check out stem on cpan or stemsystems.com.

M> I have written some Net::Telnet scripts (thanks! Jay Rogers) to do it
M> as a quick fix .. but i am looking for something a little more
M> organized and robust.

anything is more organized and robust than a mesh of telnet scripts!

M> I cant seem to find anything out there.. is there something GPL'd that
M> i am missing?

stem is pure perl and under the gpl. .11 is about to be released and has
support for winblows, ssl, and more new stuff.

uri

Mike

Mike said:
I've recently been looking ath this and will deploy my configuration
using cfengine and rpm packages. Look at infrastructures.org for
'Bootstraping...'. I like the article and approach.

Mike
plenty of reading on infrastructures.org .. i will certainly take a good
long look!

Thanks
Mike

Mike

Uri said:
M> Is there a tool already written to use to back up and deploy operating
M> systems and configurations to multiple types and makes of network
M> devices (routers/switches/cisco/nortel/hp/3com) out there?

check out stem on cpan or stemsystems.com.

M> I have written some Net::Telnet scripts (thanks! Jay Rogers) to do it
M> as a quick fix .. but i am looking for something a little more
M> organized and robust.

anything is more organized and robust than a mesh of telnet scripts!

M> I cant seem to find anything out there.. is there something GPL'd that
M> i am missing?

stem is pure perl and under the gpl. .11 is about to be released and has
support for winblows, ssl, and more new stuff.

uri
I search cpan regularly and completely passed this up!! :) Whoa! you
have been busy with stem! I will check it out.

Thanks
Mike

Mike said:
plenty of reading on infrastructures.org .. i will certainly take a good
long look!

Thanks
Mike

I looks like the infrastructures.org stuff is host focused... they call
it the "network" but they dont say anything about network devices...
like brand specific switches and routers. I think its more intent on
*nix hosts throughout the network and not the network devices.

Rocco Caputo

I looks like the infrastructures.org stuff is host focused... they call
it the "network" but they dont say anything about network devices...
like brand specific switches and routers. I think its more intent on
*nix hosts throughout the network and not the network devices.

I've used POE to build a system (multimatic) that drives software
testing on a few build farms. It uses ssh and telnet to remotely access
and interact with shells on a pathologically heterogenous set of
machines.

Multimatic isn't a slick product. In fact, most people run away
screaming after taking a look at all the configured machines.
It's not an off-the-shelf system for your original problem, but I can
dust it off and tar up a snapshot if you're interested.