OSX Tiger comes with Ruby 1.8.2!

Ezra Zygmuntowicz

Hey there list-
I was able to play around on a friends OSX Tiger install today
and was pleasantly surprised to find ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [powerpc-
darwin8.0] Installed by default.
Just an FYI.
-Ezra

Phil Tomson

Hey there list-
I was able to play around on a friends OSX Tiger install today
and was pleasantly surprised to find ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [powerpc-
darwin8.0] Installed by default.

That's great news... though by the time Tiger comes out (next month?)
1.8.3 could be out. ;-)

Phil

Richard Kilmer

This is GREAT NEWS.

I asked Jordan Hubbard at Apple in early January in they could get 1.8.2
included, and he registered an 'exception' to try...I am so very glad they
got it in!

I hope its possible to build extensions with it 'out of the box' :)

-rich

Hey there list-
I was able to play around on a friends OSX Tiger install today
and was pleasantly surprised to find ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [powerpc-
darwin8.0] Installed by default.

That's great news... though by the time Tiger comes out (next month?)
1.8.3 could be out. ;-)

Phil

Phil Tomson

This is GREAT NEWS.

I asked Jordan Hubbard at Apple in early January in they could get 1.8.2
included, and he registered an 'exception' to try...I am so very glad they
got it in!

Apparently someone rescued the exception. ;-)
I hope its possible to build extensions with it 'out of the box' :)

So they might not have included the necessary header files?

Just wondering: might a future version of rubygems (when it's included in
the standard ruby distro) be able to upgrade ruby itself?

Phil

David Moreno Garza

Just wondering: might a future version of rubygems (when it's included in
the standard ruby distro) be able to upgrade ruby itself?

Or using a 3rd party updater is a right choice. Fink coming to my mind.

gabriele renzi

Ezra Zygmuntowicz ha scritto:
Hey there list-
I was able to play around on a friends OSX Tiger install today and
was pleasantly surprised to find ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [powerpc-
darwin8.0] Installed by default.
Just an FYI.
-Ezra

I'm not very much into OSX, but IIRC there are packages coming as
"frameworks".
It seem to me this was the case for python in the last release, is it
the same for ruby now ?

Dick Davies

* Luc Heinrich said:
Yeah well, irb is still compiled without readline support. :/

Readline is problematic license-wise, I think?

If you build and install readline (and the ruby readline lib), irb
will 'just work' - you won't need to recompile ruby or irb.

(yes, ok, you'll need gcc and ruby source to build the readline lib.
But they could always be packaged as a gem or something - does
rubygems support binary gems yet?)

Brian McCallister

BSD editline may be a viable alternative for them, if readline is a
license problem. I wonder why they don't use it...

-Brian

Jannis Harder

gabriele said:
I'm not very much into OSX, but IIRC there are packages coming as
"frameworks".
It seem to me this was the case for python in the last release, is it
the same for ruby now ?

Frameworks (.framework) are Mac OS X Shared Libraries (not .dynlib (same
as .so on linux)) that can include Cocoa specific things like .nib
files. (RubyCocoa comes as framework). Maybe python includes a cocoa
binding that comes as a framework or the python lib is a framework.
(it's possible to compile c libs as frameworks too (SDL for example))

Mac OS X Installer packages are .pkg or .mpkg