    and risking civilians would increase my personal safety then those
    principles would go out the window.
    If you can't tell naivete from cynicism, I think not.

    Nils Petter Vaskinn, Dec 22, 2003

  2. Interesting still, but a little lacking in detail.

    Civilian casualties should be divided into those killed by the enemy and
    those killed by own soldiers (as in out into concentration camps).

    And it would also be interesting to see the casualties as a percentage of
    the population at the time. Perhaps I'll look up the population statistics
    and calculate them for myself, but that won't happen until after cristmas
    if it does.

    Nils Petter Vaskinn, Dec 22, 2003

  3. Joona I Palaste

    John Smith Guest

    You seem to be agreeing with me. In any event, I would be happy
    to continue the discussion amicably, but let's not do it here.

    JS

    John Smith, Dec 28, 2003
  4. Joona I Palaste

    SenderX Guest

    Civilian casualties should be divided into those killed by the enemy and
    Its amazing!

    Alls the enemy has to do is surround themselves with civilians, and they
    render liberal trash useless!

    Liberal:

    Oh my! We can't fight now... We might harm a civilian! I guess the enemy has
    won...

    The right guys:

    BLAST EM!

    SenderX, Jan 3, 2004
  5. No I don't. At least if I've understood you correctly, here's the two
    view's as I think they are.

    You: Nuking Japan was right.
    Me: Nuking Japan was wrong, but I understand what drove them to do it, and
    I realize I'm not so perfect that I wouldn't do it under the right (wrong)
    circumstances.

    Please correct me if I'm wrong about what you meant.
    Feel very free to set follow up to somewhere where this is on topic.

    Nils Petter Vaskinn, Jan 3, 2004
  6. That was referring to the statistics at the url mentioned previously. For
    example the numbers for civilian casualties in germany doesn't give much
    information when you can't tell how many were killed as a result of
    fighting/bombing and how many were the result of the nazis killing them on
    purpose.

    I'll just assume the rest of your post refers to the rest of the thread.
    So I guess you wouldn't mind beeing a civilian casualty say if you lived
    near a military base and some terrorist organization decides to bomb it?
    I think actively hiding behind civilians is just as wrong, and does
    justify a certain degree of "they broke the rules and endangered their own
    civilians so they'll have to take the blame for the casualties

    War is in the end about killing the enemy, but if we are going to clam to
    be as morally superior as we seem to think we are we should make an effort
    to minimize damage to non combatants. If you're willing to bomb an afghan
    village to the ground to get at Osama bin Laden without concern for the
    civilians he's "hiding behind" you're just as bad as he is. To the good
    guy the end does not justify the means.

    Nils Petter Vaskinn, Jan 3, 2004
  7. ....or how many died from starvation/disease.

    Anyway, what does this have to do with C? Could you please take this rant
    to a more appropriate place?

    Peter

    Peter Pichler, Jan 3, 2004