Indian C programmers [OT]

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by sathyashrayan, Sep 10, 2003.

  1. Friends,
    We have achieved a success in chess games. Thanks for the 9 GM
    from India. But regarding programming, that too in c and asm we still
    stand behind. I could see some c questions from Indian named posters
    in this Usenet. But comparing those questions with that of the
    questions asked and answers given by those experts in this Usenet
    responder, we are at the beginning.

    Programming is an art but not a science. A 10-year-old student
    can program well if he is given a proper training. There are lot of
    very young programmers in Europe, US, and other countries. If we look
    at the track records in this Usenet it will be more than 10 years.

    Once I wanted to learn the implementation of tree-data-struct. I
    tried several different ways and asked some help from this Usenet news
    group. In replay I got an American saying "WTF you are doing as a
    programming". WTF is an American expression.
    Then I went through his web site I come across the excellent work done
    by him in tree data-struct as a Stanford Grad student. I don't blame
    him for those words because if I would have been in his position I
    will have the same kind of expression. But I blame our system.

    My conclusion of that is the system that is been followed in
    India. MCA and BE students are considered as a programmers. But when I
    come across some MCA and BE students they don't even take the C and
    ASM programming as a serious one. Even if some body programs well then
    it is his or her own personal interest and self-study but not because
    of the way they have been thought. They will learn and write the
    data-struct as in the book without knowing the concept! Example: They
    will cast malloc()'s return and allocate mem. So taking the MCA and BE
    as a qualification is a bad for future Indian programmers.

    But I don't know about NCST teachings.

    In my view the industry's approach must change and there should be
    a school of programming as a full academics background India.

    (I live in south-India, chennai)

    Thanks,
    By
    N.Sathyashrayan

    sathyashrayan, Sep 10, 2003

  2. (snip)

    What was your C question?

    "This isn't right. This isn't even wrong."
    - Wolfgang Pauli

    Joona I Palaste, Sep 10, 2003

  3. sathyashrayan

    Nicholas Guest

    I agree. But there is a section in newspaper called "Opinions" which will
    suit you better.
    Good luck with your journey to become the Master of Art of Programming.

    Cheers.

    Nicholas, Sep 10, 2003
  4. sathyashrayan

    LibraryUser Guest

    You snipped it. :)

    LibraryUser, Sep 10, 2003
  5. sathyashrayan

    Jeff Guest

    This code snippet is never going to compile. You've got several
    unterminated character constants, no main function, a malloc with no
    arguments, and on and on. Please repost a stripped-down version that
    demonstrates your problem and we'll be happy to help you.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Sep 10, 2003
  6. sathyashrayan

    Dan Pop Guest

    If he had one, he wouldn't have inserted the "[OT]" tag in the subject
    line, would he? ;-)

    Dan

    Dan Pop, Sep 10, 2003
  7. I was aware of that, but still, it's not as if people can post anything
    they want by merely adding "[OT]" to the title. (Nevertheless, I'm
    sometimes guilty of that myself...)

    "Immanuel Kant but Genghis Khan."
    - The Official Graffitist's Handbook

    Joona I Palaste, Sep 10, 2003
  8. sathyashrayan

    Aishwarya Guest

    and what was the aim of the mail ? we dont debate on topics of
    philosophy here,do we ?

    Aishwarya, Sep 10, 2003
  9. No, we debate on prjntf, music (Bill Haley and the Comments), the
    likelyhood of "out of memory" errors in aircarrier altimeters, the
    preferred pronounciation of strcpy (To RH: good job), the preferred
    metasyntactic variable names, the 1-to-"I'm Denis Ritchie"-scale, etc.

    Irrwahn

    Irrwahn Grausewitz, Sep 10, 2003
  10. sathyashrayan

    Dan Pop Guest

    The post was not completely unrelated to C and he was kind enough to warn
    you that you can't expect topical content.
    Quite often, without even adding the "[OT]" tag...

    Dan

    Dan Pop, Sep 10, 2003
  11. sathyashrayan

    Malcolm Guest

    Indian philosophers invented the zero, which is pretty important in C.

    Malcolm, Sep 10, 2003
  12. sathyashrayan

    John L Guest

    Would it be on-topic to discuss differences in C programming style
    between programmers of different nationalities and backgrounds?
    In practice, such a discussion would founder on the lack of data,
    of course.

    John.

    John L, Sep 10, 2003
  13. sathyashrayan

    Jeff Guest

    I think it is acceptable to post some "[OT]" thing in usenet. If someone
    just have the good idea and he want to share with others, we should not
    reject him :)

    However, if someone ask his question in the "wrong group" (for example: ask
    "windows, assembly, c++" thing in clc ) , we should kindly tell him and
    redirect him to the correct group. It can stop him to post off-topic
    question, and let him understand that this is not the correct group for him,
    any answers or comments given in here will not be correct for his off-topic
    question.

    Jeff, Sep 11, 2003
  14. sathyashrayan

    Jeff Guest

    Sometimes I read the message even it has [OT] tag, just because of curious
    :)

    Jeff, Sep 11, 2003
  15. sathyashrayan

    Jeff Guest

    The OP is not asking a C question, you know ?

    Jeff, Sep 11, 2003
  16. sathyashrayan

    Dan Pop Guest

    That's precisely what people inserting the [OT] tag hope for ;-)

    Dan

    Dan Pop, Sep 11, 2003
  17. By this logic its ok for people to have "great ideas" about
    astrology, genital enlargement, bread making, get rich quick schemes,
    nigerian moneylaundering etc, and to post it here, so long as they
    stick an [OT] tag in.

    I don't think so, and thats where what you suggest leads. One man's
    "great idea" is another's spam remember.

    And frankly, I read CLC to learn about C, not something else that
    happens to have fired up someone today. So there.

    Mark McIntyre, Sep 11, 2003
  18. sathyashrayan

    BR Guest

    Why is it that an OT post "completely unrelated to C" generates a thread
    a mile long? The OP got precisely the gratification he was looking for
    and trolls and windbags everywhere are encouraged to follow his example.

    BR

    BR, Sep 11, 2003