    for "you"? Many manage otherwise perfectly grammatical English but
    that one mistake sticks out. Do they have a law in India forcing
    schools to teach mangled English or something?

    Joona I Palaste, Nov 25, 2003

  2. Because when they don't you don't notice that they are from india.
    Perhaps it's a miguided attempt at beeing 1337 ?

    Or perhaps that they're better at spoken english more than english (a
    significant amount of people learn most of their english from TV) and the
    fact that "u" and "you" sound the same leads to the mistake.

    Nils Petter Vaskinn, Nov 25, 2003

  3. Joona I Palaste

    Naren Guest

    Hello,
    Not at all ,I would say that this slang we have learnt from westerners
    while we communicate with them.They most of the times use "u" for
    "you","coz" for "because",and many more.

    I think this makes communication rather informal and it also is stylish..:)

    Of course nowadays it has become a trend to use these slangs.

    Do you agree with it?

    Best Regards,
    Naren.

    Naren, Nov 25, 2003
  4. But in a newsgroup discussing C beeing as formal and accurate as possible
    is desirable.
    I disagree.
    That it has become a trend: yes. That it is stylish and a good idea: no.

    There are people reading the group that are not too good at english, slang
    makes things harder for them so it should be avoided.

    Mistakes are ok, writing less readable to be cool (or because typing
    because is too much work compared to coz) is not.

    Everything here is ofcourse my opinion, other readers of clc may disagree
    with me.

    Nils Petter Vaskinn, Nov 25, 2003
  5. Joona I Palaste

    Richard Bos Guest

    [ Please do not top-post. And please do learn to snip. ]
    You must only have communicated with school children and script kiddies
    (frequently the same thing), because they are the only people I can
    think of who regularly use d00dsp33k. The rest of us know that it makes
    us look illiterate.
    Informal, and awkward.
    For values of "stylish" that also include the day-glo tracksuit, the
    purple PVC couch, and driving circles around the block on your scooter,
    perhaps.
    In some circles, yes, but not in any circles with which a serious
    programmer wishes to be associated, frankly.

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Nov 25, 2003
  6. Joona I Palaste

    Anupam Guest

    <OT>
    Not *every single* Indian C [or see] programmer. [Yo]u will find
    a very small percentage of my posts containing the SMS lingo. At the
    roots of this is a socio-developmental cause. That would be quite OT I
    should think. The fact that it is a third world country may have
    something to do with it. It is easy to be judgemental sitting in the
    comforts of an AC cabin in places where people are paid good cash and
    given free cars as social benefit for doing absolutely nothing. Here
    education is a luxury, not a sure fire access scheme. People go to
    great lengths to achieve it. Some of the people who do the posting may
    have learnt from local language schools.. maybe that would be a valid
    cause ... A good percentage of us learn it purely from the foreign
    media. In fact it is a tribute to the tenacity of our people that BPO
    is coming to us in a major way.
    When choosing between grammer and food the choice may not be too
    difficult. Regardless, there is an increasing percentage of people
    specially in the cities who are Anglicised in the real sense of the
    term. In concluding, I would just have to say that judge
    Indians/Mexicans/Martians...and any other creature not on the basis of
    the outward characteristics, but on the inner correctness as a whole.
    And don't go at nations/communities ... with the advent of the
    Internet and globalisation we should be moving out of that phase at
    least now. For too long we have been involved in uncivilised groupings
    which served our purposes in the long dead past. Now look at the
    future and a removal of barriers and not vice versa.
    <\OT>

    Anupam, Nov 25, 2003
  7. No. In an intellectual environment (such as comp.lang.c), there's no
    place for slangy shorthand, at least not if you want to sound
    intelligent and be taken seriously (IMHO).

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Nov 25, 2003
  8. Joona I Palaste

    CBFalconer Guest

    *** rude top-posting corrected ***
    Then you have been hanging out with an extremely low class and
    ignorant group of westerners. They seem to also have taught you
    to top-post and to omit blanks following periods and commas.
    No. It makes communication awkward, hard, and often erroneous.

    CBFalconer, Nov 25, 2003
  9. Joona I Palaste

    Chris Dollin Guest

    Many westerners do not abbreviate like that. This one, for example.
    Stylish, like yoghurt in the engine oil, doesn't have to mean "good".
    Not *here* it hasn't. No more so than thenadays.
    Probably not.

    Chris Dollin, Nov 25, 2003
  10. Joona I Palaste

    Alan Balmer Guest

    I find it difficult to believe that anyone posting here must make that
    choice.

    Alan Balmer, Nov 25, 2003
  11. Joona I Palaste

    Dan Pop Guest

    You must have a very selective vision. There are plenty of
    counterexamples, posted during the last 24 hours.
    The abbreviation is particularly common among Americans, especially not
    the very educated ones. Non-native English speakers see it on the
    Internet and, not knowing any better, think that it's a cute/clever
    idea.

    Dan

    Dan Pop, Nov 25, 2003
  12. You need to serious rethink which "westerners" you choose to copy.
    Illiterates and warez-kinder are not a reasonable choice.
    No, it is not informal or stylish. It marks the user as an idiot. There
    is nothing stylish about being a fool.
    That something might be trendy does not make it right, stylish, informal,
    cool, or intelligent. It does not show independence of thought or
    rebellion at convention, but rather complete subservience to the stupidity
    of the day. It does mark the user with a "group identity," namely as being
    one of the brainless children.

    Martin Ambuhl, Nov 25, 2003
  13. I was taught that the past tense of "learn" is "learned" not "learnt".
    Is "learnt" from the Queen's / King's english or from the lazy tongues
    of some American suburbs?

    --
    Thomas Matthews

    C++ newsgroup welcome message:
    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
    alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
    Other sites:

    Thomas Matthews, Nov 25, 2003
  14. Joona I Palaste

    Default User Guest

    While annoying, I see plenty of good old 'Mericans doing the same thing.
    The one I wonder about is the frequent use of the word "doubt" to mean
    "question". Is this something being taught in English classes in India?
    It happens so frequently that I wonder.

    [crossed to AFT-S for newsfeed reasons]

    Brian Rodenborn

    Default User, Nov 25, 2003
  15. Joona I Palaste

    Alan Balmer Guest

    "Learnt" is an acceptable past tense and past participle of "learn",
    as is "learned." The latter is much more common.

    When I grew up in the Pennsylvania countryside, "learn" as a synonym
    for "teach" was still in common use by folks of my grandfather's
    generation.

    Alan Balmer, Nov 25, 2003
  16. Joona I Palaste

    Anupam Guest

    <snipped most of previous post>
    <OT>
    Also please have the decency to mention off-topic when it is so. And
    what you people are writing is potential high flame material. Dont
    think that your C knowledge gives you the right to make judgemental
    decisions about races and peoples as a whole. Rascism might be hip
    where you belong. But as flag bearers of the intellectual elite dont
    behave like a bunch of illiterates. I would have a lot to say about
    the hypocrisy of the so called developed (*financially*) nations as a
    whole if I wanted to do so but this is definitely not the right
    platform to do so. Remember the loads of times you have flamed people
    for being off topic and dont be cowards without the heart and the
    knowledge to say sorry when you know you are wrong.
    PS. At least the OP mentioned OT in his header(headers are not
    visible in all mail clients ,still...). Others seem to have lost all
    track of their self-made conventions.
    <\OT>

    Anupam, Nov 25, 2003
  17. Joona I Palaste

    Anuj Heer Guest

    i do agree with anupam. but he seems to have a very poor image of his
    country as a third world country. come on man be proud to be an
    indian. we do what we do because we are the best and programming is
    one feild where we are the trend setters. so who cannot bear with us
    and our whims can go to hell. i am sorry if it sounds a bit harsh but
    that's the way it is. we don't need extensive support structure to
    make us the best programmers in the world. we do it on our own without
    any outside help and mostly with outdated computers. but let me tell
    you my most out dated computer will outrun your fastest computer
    anyday. so just learn to live with it.
    anuj

    Anuj Heer, Nov 25, 2003
  18. "Learnt" is perfectly acceptable, although its use is diminishing. It
    was good enough for E.M. Forster in his 1908 novella "The Machine
    Stops," in any case. I personally think it sounds more interesting
    and poetic, FWTW.

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Nov 25, 2003
  19. Joona I Palaste

    Dan Pop Guest

    My theory is that this is a mistake induced by the native language of
    the poster, where the same word could be used for both.

    A typical, but non-obvious example is "eventually". When used by a
    non-native English speaker, it is very likely that it was not supposed
    to actually mean "eventually", but "probably" (as in most other European
    languages).

    Dan

    Dan Pop, Nov 25, 2003
  20. Joona I Palaste

    Dan Pop Guest

    According to one of the most popular Web dictionaries, the former:

    Main Entry: learnt
    Pronunciation: 'l&rnt
    chiefly British past and past participle of LEARN

    Dan

    Dan Pop, Nov 25, 2003