[OT] Indian C programmers and "u"

Keith Thompson

Naren said:
Hello,
Not at all ,I would say that this slang we have learnt from westerners
while we communicate with them.They most of the times use "u" for
"you","coz" for "because",and many more.

I think this makes communication rather informal and it also is stylish..:)

Of course nowadays it has become a trend to use these slangs.

Do you agree with it?

I think the comments to the effect that those who use "u" for "you"
are illiterate, ignorant, or stupid are a bit overblown. It's all
just ones and zeros, after all; it's not *that* big a deal.

However, using "u" for "you", "coz" for "because", etc., does make the
writer appear significantly less literate, knowledgeable, and
intelligent. I'm sure that's not the intent, but it's definitely how
it comes across. (It's a sign of ignorance, but it's ignorance of the
100% curable sort.)

If you're typing short text messages on a cell phone keyboard, it
probably makes sense to abbreviate aggressively. Here in comp.lang.c,
we'll all appreciate it greatly if you'll take the extra fraction of a
second to spell out "you" and "because".

Joona I Palaste

I think the comments to the effect that those who use "u" for "you"
are illiterate, ignorant, or stupid are a bit overblown. It's all
just ones and zeros, after all; it's not *that* big a deal.

Luckily I was not saying that Indian C programmers were illiterate,
ignorant, or stupid. They're not. (Well, some of the might be, but
not nearly all.)
However, using "u" for "you", "coz" for "because", etc., does make the
writer appear significantly less literate, knowledgeable, and
intelligent. I'm sure that's not the intent, but it's definitely how
it comes across. (It's a sign of ignorance, but it's ignorance of the
100% curable sort.)

This was my point. If you're otherwise capable of perfectly
grammatical English, the "u" sticks out irritatingly.
If you're typing short text messages on a cell phone keyboard, it
probably makes sense to abbreviate aggressively. Here in comp.lang.c,
we'll all appreciate it greatly if you'll take the extra fraction of a
second to spell out "you" and "because".

At least *I* will.

--
/-- Joona Palaste ([email protected]) ------------- Finland --------\
"The large yellow ships hung in the sky in exactly the same way that bricks

Jeff

Joona said:
I've been wondering about this for too long. Why is it that *every
single* Indian C programmer I have seen on this newsgroup writes "u"
for "you"? Many manage otherwise perfectly grammatical English but
that one mistake sticks out. Do they have a law in India forcing
schools to teach mangled English or something?

For one thing, this makes it tougher to search indian source code....

Jeff

J. J. Farrell

Joona I Palaste said:
I've been wondering about this for too long. Why is it that *every
single* Indian C programmer I have seen on this newsgroup writes "u"
for "you"? Many manage otherwise perfectly grammatical English but
that one mistake sticks out.

It's not every Indian (how do you know which posters are or aren't
Indian?), nor is it exclusively Indians. Nor, I believe, is it a
mistake in most cases. It's usually an ugly abbreviation used by
people who have come to on-line communication through certain
routes, such as text message phones and forums inhabited by d00d3.
They're moving into the grown-up world but haven't yet learned to
drop the baby-talk.
Do they have a law in India forcing
schools to teach mangled English or something?

Many schools in India teach excellent English. I've come across a
good number of young Indian C programmers whose English language
skills (both spoken and written) are far superior to many of their
contemporaries in both England and the USA.

J. J. Farrell

Naren said:
I would say that this slang we have learnt from westerners
while we communicate with them.They most of the times use "u" for
"you","coz" for "because",and many more.

In that case, you've been communicating largely with lazy, ignorant,
and/or puerile Westerners. I assure you that the vast majority of
Westerners do not use this silly slang.
I think this makes communication rather informal and it also is stylish..:)

Certainly informal, not in the least stylish. Also irritating,
annoying, difficult to read, and likely to make me not bother
replying to a request for help.
Of course nowadays it has become a trend to use these slangs.

It does seem to be increasing. That does not make it a good thing.

Thomas Stegen

Martin said:
You need to serious rethink which "westerners" you choose to copy.
Illiterates and warez-kinder are not a reasonable choice.

Maybe rethink copying westerners alltogether...

:)

Richard Heathfield

Anupam said:
And
what you people are writing is potential high flame material.

I think it's unfortunate that the word "Indian" appears in the thread title,
since this infantile practice is in no way limited to citizens of India,
and neither do /all/ Indian C programmers (let alone all Indian citizens)
indulge in it.
Dont
think that your C knowledge gives you the right to make judgemental
decisions about races and peoples as a whole.

This is nothing to do with races or peoples, and everything to do with
showing courtesy to one's readers.

<snip>

Thomas Stegen

Thomas said:
I was taught that the past tense of "learn" is "learned" not "learnt".
Is "learnt" from the Queen's / King's english or from the lazy tongues
of some American suburbs?

Learnt is a verb in past tense. Learned is an adjective
saying someone is educated.

Then again, you can also you learned to be the past tense...

pandapower

While annoying, I see plenty of good old 'Mericans doing the same thing.
The one I wonder about is the frequent use of the word "doubt" to mean
"question". Is this something being taught in English classes in India?
It happens so frequently that I wonder.

the bottom line is .. AMERICA rules ..

we dont have to be grammatically correct to learn the C language, and
as far as posting is concerned INDIA is not a English speaking country
... so excuse people like you excuse people from non-english speaking
countries.And this is not a english(queen's) grammer teaching
newsgroup.

I dont understand the skepticism over indian programmers.Probably
there is some deep rooted fear.The root of anger is always fear :).

And are there no issues left that we need to discuss these issues.

excuse me if i did hurt anybody.

regards

Charles Richmond

Joona said:
I've been wondering about this for too long. Why is it that *every
single* Indian C programmer I have seen on this newsgroup writes "u"
for "you"? Many manage otherwise perfectly grammatical English but
that one mistake sticks out. Do they have a law in India forcing
schools to teach mangled English or something?
Crap like that seems to be acceptable in "chat rooms". It
is *very* annoying to me to see it in email or posts to
newsgroups. Perhaps the Indians use chat rooms more???

Mark McIntyre

(concerning txt splngs n usenet msgs)
I think this makes communication rather informal and it also is stylish..:)

The common view round here is that using txtspk is often a sign that
the poster is young, inexperienced, probably a newby, and certainly a
bit lazy. Its not that hard to type the whole word...
Of course nowadays it has become a trend to use these slangs.

On phones. Do you write letters to your grandmother in sms?
Do you agree with it?

Bah, humbug.

Mark McIntyre

"Learnt" is perfectly acceptable, although its use is diminishing

I have learned, or I learnt. Either is permissible. Isn't this past
and past historic?

Mike Wahler

pandapower said:
the bottom line is .. AMERICA rules ..

Not me. And I live there.
My only 'ruler' is myself.

we dont have to be grammatically correct to learn the C language,

But correct English (or whatever the language being used)
communication can greatly aid learning of any topic.
Poor language skills lead to misunderstanding.
and
as far as posting is concerned INDIA is not a English speaking country
Irrelevant.

.. so excuse people like you excuse people from non-english speaking
countries.

Many folks whose native tongue is not English do read and post here.
IMO allowances for nonfluency are indeed made here, sometimes with
helpful hints to a poster in the interest of improving their English,
thus their effective communication here.
And this is not a english(queen's) grammer teaching
newsgroup.

Grammar. :)

No, but the language officially used in clc is indeed English.
I dont understand the skepticism over indian programmers.

What skepticism? The several Indian programmers I've met
were almost all extremely knowledgable about programming.
I think this could be because an Indian individual typically
exercises more discipline with regard to learning, as opposed
to the typical American.

Probably
there is some deep rooted fear.The root of anger is always fear :).

Fear? Huh?
And are there no issues left that we need to discuss these issues.

So why do you continue the thread?
excuse me if i did hurt anybody.

I'm not hurt, but I will say that I think your ideas expressed
in your post represent misconceptions.

As for myself, I'd be very pleased to see all 'national' borders
completely disappear. Just five or six billion *individuals*
all respecting one another's individual rights, associating when
they desire, or not, when they don't.

-Mike

Mark

i do agree with anupam. but he seems to have a very poor image of his
country as a third world country. come on man be proud to be an
indian. we do what we do because we are the best and programming is
one feild where we are the trend setters. so who cannot bear with us
and our whims can go to hell. i am sorry if it sounds a bit harsh but
that's the way it is. we don't need extensive support structure to
make us the best programmers in the world. we do it on our own without
any outside help and mostly with outdated computers. but let me tell
you my most out dated computer will outrun your fastest computer
anyday. so just learn to live with it.

You would make a better case for yourself if you learned to use the
shift key (pun intended).

Please take your nationalistic chest pounding elsewhere, especially
since you seem to lack the intelligence to express it coherently.

Mark F. Haigh
(e-mail address removed)

Irrwahn Grausewitz

Mark McIntyre said:
I have learned, or I learnt. Either is permissible. Isn't this past
and past historic?

According to my dictionary either of these is acceptable:

Past tense:
I learned. || I learnt.

Past participle:
I have learned. || I have learnt.

Regards

dfg

Richard Bos wrote:

For values of "stylish" that also include the day-glo tracksuit, the
purple PVC couch, and driving circles around the block on your scooter,
perhaps.

I kinda like those purple PVC couches... :)

dfg

Joona said:
I've been wondering about this for too long. Why is it that *every
single* Indian C programmer I have seen on this newsgroup writes "u"
for "you"? Many manage otherwise perfectly grammatical English but
that one mistake sticks out. Do they have a law in India forcing
schools to teach mangled English or something?

Do you realize that in some countries you have made yourself nearly
available for a civil suit because you are making a distinction between
Indian people. It could be seen as racial prejudice.

There was a safer way to post the message you wanted to get across.

Jirka Klaue

dfg said:
Do you realize that in some countries you have made yourself nearly
available for a civil suit because you are making a distinction between
Indian people.

Could you explain where the "distinction between Indian people" is made?

Jirka

Debashish Chakravarty

Joona I Palaste said:
Do they have a law in India forcing
schools to teach mangled English or something?
Is there any law in Finland to teach people how to be as nasty as
possible? What is the point of your bitter sarcasm?