[OT] Indian C programmers and "u"

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Joona I Palaste, Nov 25, 2003.

  1. IMHO??? Methinks somebody has just discovered either irony or hypocrisy.

    HAND.

    Slartibartfast, Nov 26, 2003

  2. Richard Heathfield wrote:

    [snip]
    ^^^^^^^^

    huh?

    (But I do get your point nevertheless ;)

    Thomas Stegen, Nov 26, 2003

  3. Floyd Davidson wrote:
    [snip]
    That is fair enough. It is the use of "I have a doubt" to
    mean "I have a question" which is wrong though. And
    "to question" and "a question" are different things.

    Thomas Stegen, Nov 26, 2003
  4. It counts as idiocy. Wholly unappropriate and not needed.
    Since you asked...

    Thomas Stegen, Nov 26, 2003
  5. A bit late, But please do not feed the trolls.

    I made a promise to myself never again to make posts such as this one.
    But when this comes from a regular...

    Thomas Stegen, Nov 26, 2003
  6. leetness

    d00d5 (dudes) like to think they are very 1337 (elite) you see, and one
    sign of 13£tn355 (leetness) is to replace every possible character with
    one that looks a little like the one you mean (as you can see it doen't
    exactly make things easy to read). When we ridicule them (dood5) we like
    to use their style of writing.

    Nils Petter Vaskinn, Nov 26, 2003
  7. Where I grew up the phrase "I have my doubts about ..." was
    pretty common.

    I have no doubt there are people who doubt that it is proper
    English... but have my doubts about their vocabulary.

    Floyd Davidson, Nov 26, 2003
  8. "every single" is overstatement; may be you meant "most".
    When I was learning English (that was before I've seen Computers and
    SMS), I'd thought why people unnecessarily use "yo" in "you" when they
    just pronounce it as "u". In my native language (Tamil), we write what
    we speak/pronounce; we pronounce what we write. It is to say in Tamil,
    we don't have any silent words (as in psychology or as in you).

    Here are my reasons:

    1. Browsing is too costly in India; many people don't know typing.
    And so, they prefer to use "u" instead of long "you".
    2. People think, "u" is stylish to use in web.
    3. People don't know the difference between NG and chat room.
    4. There is no such netiquettes. People may think, if ciao
    (Italian) is acceptable in NG, then "u" must also be acceptable.
    5. Few people may think why such hypocrisy---they accept dude speak
    in chat rooms and IRC, but why not in NG.
    LOL! <kidding>BTW, Is there any law in Finland to force Joona to
    post irrational statements?</kidding>

    R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah, Nov 26, 2003
  9. I strongly vouch your statement. My knowledge about America is quite
    limited to CNN and few chat guys. Those chat guys have the opinions
    about mine (and you) regarding the nationalism, but it is not what
    projected to the outside world about Americans especially through
    media like CNN. This is also same for India---'coz most of the
    politicians and media projects Pakistan as the enemy.

    R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah, Nov 26, 2003
  10. Both, probably ;) Neither was lost on me as I made the previous
    post...

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Nov 26, 2003
  11. Joona I Palaste

    John L Guest

    This is not what is happening in India (and some other Asian countries);
    rather, it is a form of speed typing which motivates these abbreviations.
    But because the one form looks much like the other, it is also condemned.
    Other motivations for similar abominations have given Americans "thru" and
    our children "Toys R Us".

    It is not a sign Indian programmers are stupid, and there ought to
    be more sensitive ways of objecting to the style, just as some can
    redirect posters to, say, without questioning
    their sanity.

    John.

    John L, Nov 26, 2003
  12. Joona I Palaste

    Chris Dollin Guest

    I have my doubts about whether all this is on topic. In fact,
    I doubt that it is (on topic). However, I don't have *a doubt*
    about it.
    But do you have *questions* about their vocabulary - and are the
    doubts and the questions the same thing?

    Chris Dollin, Nov 26, 2003
  13. But "having a doubt about" isn't synonymous to "having a question
    about", is it? It's more like "feeling uncertain about", like in
    [literally quoted from a dictionary]:

    When in doubt about the meaning of a word, consult a dictionary.

    or "question the truth of", like in:

    I have a doubt about the standard conformance of 'void main(...)'.

    However, I doubt that this thread is on-topic. No doubt that
    some/most people will agree with me on that. Doubtlessly that's
    the reason for the "[OT]" attribute in the subject line.

    And what was my C doubt? =:-0

    Regards

    Irrwahn Grausewitz, Nov 26, 2003
  14. Joona I Palaste

    Dan Pop Guest

    It's fairly narrow, but this is not the point.
    An entirely moot point, since we're talking about "question" as a NOUN,
    not as a verb. I'm sure you can tell the difference, if you engage your
    brain...

    Joona was refering to people writing "I have a doubt about <whatever
    C feature>", when they clearly mean "I have a question about...".

    Dan

    Dan Pop, Nov 26, 2003
  15. Joona I Palaste

    Dan Pop Guest

    The whole thread is labeled as off-topic, in the subject line, so why the
    hell would anyone expect topical contents inside?
    And the [OT] tag is present in the subject line of *all* the posts in
    the thread. So, what's your point, if any?
    If you don't see the subject line, how do you decide what to read and
    what to ignore?
    We're not talking here about any self-made conventions.

    Dan

    Dan Pop, Nov 26, 2003
  16. Joona I Palaste

    Dan Pop Guest

    Nope. Informal text based communication using electronic means has
    developed its own set of abbreviations, well and widely documented.
    Any good Internet tutorial also contains a list with the most common ones.

    They've been created to be used, and not only to be inventoried in a
    zillion places on the Web...

    OTOH, ad hoc invented abbreviations, and Joona is one of the major
    offenders in this newsgroup, are even sillier than "u" and its kin.

    Dan

    Dan Pop, Nov 26, 2003
  17. Joona I Palaste

    Kevin Bracey Guest

    FWIW, I'm British, and I'd say "I learnt", and "I have learned". I think
    "learnt" as the past tense is certainly the dominant form here.

    Likewise dreamt, spelt and others.

    Kevin Bracey, Nov 26, 2003
  18. Joona I Palaste

    Anupam Guest

    Is that so? Well how should a person react when he gets insulted on
    his nationality? I would love to hear your invaluable suggestions.
    That was not too obvious if you would care to look at the entire
    series of postings. Nationality and race have been brought to the
    centre of attention if you did not notice.
    Firstly I'd like to say that I know that you are a well-respected
    member of the clc community so if you mean to say "don't" in the group
    as a whole, then I'd willingly oblige. I like C, but I know it's of no
    use if I have to be a member of the group while facing your animosity.
    On the other hand if you meant it as pertaining only to this thread
    the para below caters to that.
    You are taking this out of context. All I said was that I did not
    want to contribute to the "rant"s here. I can only say that you are
    sadly mistaken when you say this is a rant. I never said that I would
    not correct incorrect facts.
    I think I have a right to say what I feel here as much as the next
    person. Now, please do not say that this is off topic ... that would
    describe this entire thread very well.
    Interesting that you should call this a rant.

    A rant is defined in the Webster's as "pompous or pretentious talk or
    writing".
    What I had said was not for attracting attention in a cheap manner.
    Try looking at it without blinders . Maybe you will find that the
    message is relevant to many aspects of today's life.

    At the end of it all, I would like to say that I reacted strongly
    only because it pertained to a racial aspect. Had you caught me up on
    an aspect of C I would have gladly accepted my mistake and gone on.

    Anupam, Nov 26, 2003
  19. Joona I Palaste

    Anupam Guest

    As a gentleman, Im not going to answer that one in the terms you
    expect. You won't get the four letter words from me. All I can say is
    that if enough of the seniors say so, fine... I will. It is more your
    world... I acknowledge that I'm not old enough to this group and order
    is very important.
    And yes I will not grow a thick enough skin to ever allow my country
    to be insulted. That should not be a problem in the Usenet I feel.
    Ok maybe I got a bit carried away... but these are the roots from
    where it starts.
    I do not think Joona had too much of hatred in mind when the original
    post was done.I would feel it was more a sudden rush of blood. I was
    mostly referring to the follow ups.
    "Piss off" and "not begging to stay". Do you not see an inherent
    contradiction here?

    Anupam, Nov 26, 2003
  20. Joona I Palaste

    Anuradha Guest

    Hey,

    I would love to really thank you for enriching us [Indians] on how not
    to use monosyllables. I hope you also understand that this place is
    not the right place for the flames to be posted.

    We [Indians] opt English as second language. Not like westerners whose
    mother tongue is English and still people are [ sizeable number ] who
    does not have even communication skills. There is enough room for
    North Europeans too.

    Well, as far as I have learnt it is character that maketh [wo]man not
    the language. Just ponder.... hope you are rational enough.

    Hail !!! westerners for inventing monosyllables and also inducting it
    in the dictionary. so, are they illiterates ???????

    Well, I would really like not to raise the roof here at least where I
    respect the group. Should you still insist we would create a group and
    start the flame... Having said, I have enough points to pick you up.

    It would be good enough if you apologize in this group [ which i hope
    you would not ] and that would show whether the person is literate or
    not....

    Got my point......

    Happy Thanks Giving......

    Anu