[OT] "its" vs. "it's"

Lew

In English, the word "its" is the third-person singular neutral genitive. The
word "it's" is a contraction for "it is".

Programming is an art of precision.

Bent C Dalager

In English, the word "its" is the third-person singular neutral genitive. The
word "it's" is a contraction for "it is".

Programming is an art of precision.

But surely you cannot actually use the apostrophe in symbol names, so
you will have to abbreviate both to "its" anyway when used in code?

Cheers,
Bent D

Lew

Bent said:
But surely you cannot actually use the apostrophe in symbol names, so
you will have to abbreviate both to "its" anyway when used in code?

Did you miss the part that said, "n English"?

Bent C Dalager

Bent said:
But surely you cannot actually use the apostrophe in symbol names, so
you will have to abbreviate both to "its" anyway when used in code?

Did you miss the part that said, "n English"?

I wonder - did you miss the part that said "Programming . . ." ? :)

Cheers
Bent D

Robert Klemme

Bent said:
In English, the word "its" is the third-person singular neutral genitive. The
word "it's" is a contraction for "it is".

Programming is an art of precision.
But surely you cannot actually use the apostrophe in symbol names, so
you will have to abbreviate both to "its" anyway when used in code?
Did you miss the part that said, "n English"?

I wonder - did you miss the part that said "Programming . . ." ? :)

Lew did not make a remark about programming but about English language.

robert

Bent C Dalager

Bent C Dalager wrote:
In English, the word "its" is the third-person singular neutral genitive. The
word "it's" is a contraction for "it is".

Programming is an art of precision.
But surely you cannot actually use the apostrophe in symbol names, so
you will have to abbreviate both to "its" anyway when used in code?
Did you miss the part that said, "n English"?

I wonder - did you miss the part that said "Programming . . ." ? :)

Lew did not make a remark about programming but about English language.

Ah, but he /did/ make a remark about programming. The entirety of the
original post is reproduced above, making this quite clear.

If you want to present a case that his second paragraph should not be
understood in connection with his first paragraph, well, then you
actually need to do so :)

Cheers,
Bent D

Wildemar Wildenburger

Lew said:
Lew wrote :
Wojtek said:
public function boolean it'sOn()
{
return true;
}

Did you miss the part that said, "n English"?

Also, the convention for Boolean checkers is something like:

public function boolean isOn()
{
return true;
}

or isItOn(), if you must.

/W

cpa88901

In English, the word "its" is the third-person singular neutral genitive. The
word "it's" is a contraction for "it is".

Programming is an art of precision.

Xah Lew

Thomas G. Marshall

Wildemar Wildenburger said something like:
Lew said:
Lew wrote :
Wojtek said:
public function boolean it'sOn()
{
return true;
}

Did you miss the part that said, "n English"?

Also, the convention for Boolean checkers is something like:

public function boolean isOn()
{
return true;
}

or isItOn(), if you must.

/W

I once was part of a large-ish project where the #defines were often
negative ascertions in english. Big mistake.

The one that made me hit something was "NO_PARAM_TYPES" and the following
usage:

#ifndef NO_PARAM_TYPES
// something obtuse
#else
// ARRRRRRRR WTF GOES HERE?????????
#endif

Lew

Bent said:
If you want to present a case that his second paragraph should not be
understood in connection with his first paragraph, well, then you
actually need to do so :)

My point was that precision is important to programming, not that "its" or
"it's" belongs in a program.

Carelessness in small matters, like "its" vs. "it's", is not a good habit of
mind for programmers. Attention to detail is. Not every detail is a
programming detail, but the exercise of the mind carries over.

You must have realized that and are just being inflammatory.

Lew

Hey, that is funny! Good one.

Wouldn't I have to have blathered on for another 3000 words, repeating an
article I wrote ten years ago, for that to apply fully?

Nevertheless, it gave me a chuckle. Thanks.

cpa88901

My point was that precision is important to programming, not that "its" or
"it's" belongs in a program.

Carelessness in small matters, like "its" vs. "it's", is not a good habit of
mind for programmers. Attention to detail is. Not every detail is a
programming detail, but the exercise of the mind carries over.

You must have realized that and are just being inflammatory.

takes a twisted turn

Hal Rosser

Lew said:
In English, the word "its" is the third-person singular neutral genitive.
The word "it's" is a contraction for "it is".

Programming is an art of precision.

I also see There, Their, and They're all misused to all extremes.
THERE is a newsgroup named c.l.j.p, and THEY'RE always trying to keep THEIR
group on topic.
(Escept with this thread.)
;-)

Daniel Pitts

Hal said:
I also see There, Their, and They're all misused to all extremes.
THERE is a newsgroup named c.l.j.p, and THEY'RE always trying to keep THEIR
group on topic.
(Escept with this thread.)
;-)
Thats okay, the subject's marked [OT] :)

Thomas G. Marshall

Hal Rosser said something like:
I also see There, Their, and They're all misused to all extremes.
THERE is a newsgroup named c.l.j.p, and THEY'RE always trying to keep
THEIR group on topic.
(Escept with this thread.)
;-)

Bah. My english gripe involves the mispronounciation of Realtor and Realty.
It's reel-tor and reel-tee people, not reel-i-tor and reel-i-tee.