[OT] Moving from Eclipse to WebSphere Application Developer (WSAD)

Rogue Chameleon

Hi all

How much additional functionality exists in WSAD that doesn't exist in
Eclipse? I'm thinking of making a move to WSAD and am trying to gauge what
the learning curve will be.

Can anyone, speaking from experience, comment on this?

Rogue Chameleon

Thank you for the insightful question..... which I assume is being posed
tongue-in-cheek.

I am aware of the cost... but that isn't what I'm trying to understand. I'm
trying to find out how much more advanced WSAD is than Eclipse.

Alex Kizub

If you will work with WebSphere - that's only choice.
Of course you can do everything manually (in theory only).
Actually WSAD is Eclipse full loaded for WebSphere.
J2EE, EJB, JSP/servlets, WAR, EAR and mostly servers (even Apache).

And, I'm sure, you are not aware of cost. Cheap editions are not so far from
Eclipse itself.
Enterprise edition ... you can by a car for this price. But that's only one
really full loaded with all features.

And you cannot imgine how easy then you can work with your Application server.
Just like you have everything in your pocket (including automatic magic wand).
In theory, again :(((

Alex Kizub.

Sudsy

Alex Kizub wrote:
And, I'm sure, you are not aware of cost. Cheap editions are not so far from
Eclipse itself.
<snip>

US$35K for a Linux platform is a LOOONG way from free...
YMMV

Tom Davies

Rogue said:
Hi all

How much additional functionality exists in WSAD that doesn't exist in
Eclipse? I'm thinking of making a move to WSAD and am trying to gauge what
the learning curve will be.

Can anyone, speaking from experience, comment on this?

WSAD is less advanced than Eclipse, in the sense that WSAD is based on
older versions of Eclipse. It is more advanced if you are using
Websphere, in that you can configure a test websphere instance and
deploy to it automatically.

Tom

Rogue Chameleon

Tom Davies said:
WSAD is less advanced than Eclipse, in the sense that WSAD is based on
older versions of Eclipse. It is more advanced if you are using
Websphere, in that you can configure a test websphere instance and
deploy to it automatically.

Tom

Thanks for the clear commentary Tom. I've also heard that WSAD makes
"enterprise" development a little easier with the introduction of a few
wizards (for EJBs).... true?