OT: Need Usenet Service Recommendation

Adrienne Boswell

My ISP (AT&T) is cancelling Usenet service on or around July 15, 2009. I'm
looking for usenet access (text only - I don't need binaries), preferably
for free. Seems I saw some messages about this a while ago, but of course,
Google Groups is not finding it for me (must be in cahoots with AT&T).

Nik Coughlin

Adrienne Boswell said:
My ISP (AT&T) is cancelling Usenet service on or around July 15, 2009.
I'm
looking for usenet access (text only - I don't need binaries), preferably
for free. Seems I saw some messages about this a while ago, but of
course,
Google Groups is not finding it for me (must be in cahoots with AT&T).

I'm using motzarella.org, have not had any problems

John Hosking

Adrienne said:
My ISP (AT&T) is cancelling Usenet service on or around July 15, 2009. I'm
looking for usenet access (text only - I don't need binaries), preferably
for free. Seems I saw some messages about this a while ago, but of course,
Google Groups is not finding it for me (must be in cahoots with AT&T).

I suggest News.Individual.NET at http://www.individual.net/
Not exactly free, but close: 10 EUR per year and good feeds.

I've used it for, well, over a year now for sure, in addition to my ISP
(which hasn't yet jumped on the Dump Usenet bandwagon).

(PeteCresswell)

My ISP (AT&T) is cancelling Usenet service on or around July 15, 2009.
I've been using Individual.net for some years and am happy with
it.

About 16 USD per year.

Jonathan N. Little

Nik said:
I'm using motzarella.org, have not had any problems

Ditto!

Mine switched from ntelos to paetec and although paetec is *supposed* to
supply usenet its be 2 months and still not joy so motzarella.org been
working for me.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Adrienne Boswell
Replying from there now. Thank you so much for the recommendation.

And here's something interesting, I still have a window open for my AT&T
provider, and they are still now showing the above message.

richard

My ISP (AT&T) is cancelling Usenet service on or around July 15, 2009. I'm
looking for usenet access (text only - I don't need binaries), preferably
for free. Seems I saw some messages about this a while ago, but of course,
Google Groups is not finding it for me (must be in cahoots with AT&T).

Only the binary heirarchy is being dropped.

Nik Coughlin

richard said:
Only the binary heirarchy is being dropped.

Please note that on or around July 15, 2009, AT&T will no longer be offering
access to the Usenet netnews service. If you wish to continue reading Usenet
newsgroups, access is available through third-party vendors.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard said:
Only the binary heirarchy is being dropped.

That is not true, as you've been advised in other groups. They dropped
the binary groups already - a year ago. This time it is all the rest.

SAZ

My ISP (AT&T) is cancelling Usenet service on or around July 15, 2009. I'm
looking for usenet access (text only - I don't need binaries), preferably
for free. Seems I saw some messages about this a while ago, but of course,
Google Groups is not finding it for me (must be in cahoots with AT&T).
I've been using Motzarella ever since Comcast dropped newsgroups. I
have an occassional connection issue that goes away a few minutes later,
but for free, I can't complain.

Mel Smith

Adrienne:

I've used 'news.individual.net' ever since AOL dropped its news group
option -- this was *years* ago.

I have never had a problem with their service. I get billed about
$15/year and other than the yearly tiny bill amount, I never communicate
with them.

The Free University of Berlin apparently runs this ng service and has
done so well before I ever joined with them.

-Mel Smith

JohnW-Mpls

I suggest News.Individual.NET at http://www.individual.net/
Not exactly free, but close: 10 EUR per year and good feeds.

I've used it for, well, over a year now for sure, in addition to my ISP
(which hasn't yet jumped on the Dump Usenet bandwagon).

Thanks for the recommendation. I just signed up.

Also, this repy is to confrim that I can use individal.net to post to
the net. [grin]

John Hosking

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 01:21:52 +0200, John Hosking wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation. I just signed up.

YW. Congratulations.
Also, this repy is to confrim that I can use individal.net to post to
the net. [grin]

I see* the [grin], but your post isn't much of a "confrimation", since you
appear to have posted it via EasyNews. Or is that the joke?

*Seeing isn't the same as understanding, if you see what I mean.

MotzaBall

Adrienne Boswell said:
My ISP (AT&T) is cancelling Usenet service on or around July 15, 2009.
I'm
looking for usenet access (text only - I don't need binaries), preferably
for free. Seems I saw some messages about this a while ago, but of
course,
Google Groups is not finding it for me (must be in cahoots with AT&T).

Motzarella.org will become Eternal-September.org on July 1, 2009

Did you all get your emails?

Jonathan N. Little

MotzaBall said:
Motzarella.org will become Eternal-September.org on July 1, 2009

Did you all get your emails?

Yep, made the change.

Last night I noticed motzarella.org was not working for a short
time...maybe when they brought the new server online.

SAZ

Motzarella.org will become Eternal-September.org on July 1, 2009

Did you all get your emails?
I didn't catch those emails. Thanks for the tip, I switched servers,
re-subscribed, works perfectly.