OT: Recommended news reader?

Miki Tebeka

Hello All,

Which news reader do you recommend?
Currently I use Google Groups and find it a bit to dull.

Thanks.
Miki

Gerrit Holl

Miki said:
Which news reader do you recommend?
Currently I use Google Groups and find it a bit to dull.

What Operating System?

Note that you can also read it through a list (python-list), which is
what I'm doing, reading it with mutt.

As newsreader I prefer SLRN.

Gerrit.

Bud Rogers

Miki said:
Which news reader do you recommend?
Currently I use Google Groups and find it a bit to dull.

That's right up there with which editor do you recommend. If you like
[x]emacs, you might like gnus. If you like KDE, knode is pretty nice.

simo

RISC OS: Pluto

Windows: Forte Agent (certainly not Gemini or Outlook)

UNIX: Mozilla Thunderbird

Thomas Heller

Nick Vargish said:
Gnus.

But, like Unix, it's not for everyone. If you already use (X)Emacs,
the learning curve is quite reasonable.

I'm a very happy XEmacs user (although I'm mostly on Windows), but it
seems gnus really takes its time to master.

But I was very astonished to see that no other mail/news client I have
examined allows customizing the From: address depending on the folder or
group you are currently in. Can that really be true?

Thomas

Carmine Noviello

Hello All,

Which news reader do you recommend?
Currently I use Google Groups and find it a bit to dull.

Thanks.
Miki

Try XPN

xpn.altervista.org

It's a new newsreader full written in Python.

Bye

Cameron Laird

.
.
.
I'm a very happy XEmacs user (although I'm mostly on Windows), but it
seems gnus really takes its time to master.

But I was very astonished to see that no other mail/news client I have
examined allows customizing the From: address depending on the folder or
group you are currently in. Can that really be true?

Thomas

I didn't know that "From:" *could* be customized through
common configurations. Does anyone know how to set it
with trn(1)? I'm not even asking for switches between
groups; just correcting my domain name to its correct
public form from whatever it is now would be a good first
step.

Bert Hyman

(e-mail address removed) (Cameron Laird) wrote in

I didn't know that "From:" *could* be customized through
common configurations. Does anyone know how to set it
with trn(1)?

Does "trn" still post through the external "Pnews" program? If so,
you can edit your post before sending it to include a "From:" header
of your liking and the server ->should accept it.

The last time I saw it, Pnews was a Bourne shell program, so you
could find the copy on your system, copy it and change it any way you
like.

Mark Jackson

Bert Hyman said:
(e-mail address removed) (Cameron Laird) wrote in

Does "trn" still post through the external "Pnews" program? If so,
you can edit your post before sending it to include a "From:" header
of your liking and the server ->should accept it.

Not that more than a handful of folks still use it, but: the
OpenWindows newsreader xvnews respects both MAIL_ALIAS and DOMAIN
environment variables: From: MAIL_ALIAS@DOMAIN.

Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, (e-mail address removed) said:
I didn't know that "From:" *could* be customized through
common configurations. Does anyone know how to set it
with trn(1)? I'm not even asking for switches between

Assuming you're using one of the 4.0 versions of trn, in your .trn/trnrc:

NEWSHEADER='Newsgroups: %(%F=^$?%C:%F)
From: %[email protected] (%N)
Subject: %(%S=^$?%"\\n\\nSubject: ":Re: %S)
%(%R=^$?:References: %R
%(%D=^$?:Distribution: %D
)Followup-To:\\n\\n'

Aahz

(e-mail address removed) (Cameron Laird) wrote in

Does "trn" still post through the external "Pnews" program? If so,
you can edit your post before sending it to include a "From:" header
of your liking and the server ->should accept it.

The last time I saw it, Pnews was a Bourne shell program, so you
could find the copy on your system, copy it and change it any way you
like.

That's exactly what I do, though it's also simple enough to change the
From: line manually.
--
Aahz ([email protected]) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"The joy of coding Python should be in seeing short, concise, readable
classes that express a lot of action in a small amount of clear code --
not in reams of trivial code that bores the reader to death." --GvR

JanC

Thomas Heller said:
But I was very astonished to see that no other mail/news client I have
examined allows customizing the From: address depending on the folder or
group you are currently in. Can that really be true?

You never looked at Xnews ? :)

Hartmut Goebel

Hi,
But I was very astonished to see that no other mail/news client I have
examined allows customizing the From: address depending on the folder or
group you are currently in. Can that really be true?

KMail, KDE's mail client supports this.

--
Regards
Schönen Gruß

| Hartmut Goebel | IT-Security -- effizient |
| (e-mail address removed) | www.goebel-consult.de |

JanC

Thomas Heller said:
No, I need imap as well as nntp.

Why not use a dedicated client for each?

BTW: you can read IMAP & POP3 mailboxes with Xnews + Hamster AFAIK.

Josiah Carlson

No, I need imap as well as nntp.

Mozilla Thunderbird has both nntp and imap. Have you tried it?

- Josiah