Page hang after updating web.config

Joey

Hi,

I am using NFOP to generate PDF files from my web pages. The problem is that
when i change the web.config, the page that is using NFOP hangs.

I don't know if this is directly related to NFOP, however i would like to
know if i can make a workaround to solve this. Maybe by unloading the NFOP
assembly and reloading it?

Can anyone help in this, please?

Joey

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

NFOP is an open source library written in J#, if you need to generate PDF
files without using Crystal Reports or without forking out $$$ in a
commercial component its the tool you need.

Ideally yes, one should not change the web.config once the app is in
production. However, this is not always possible due to on going updates to
the app, as an example.

After updating the web.config, the only thing to do is to restart IIS in
order to make this assembly work :(, which is not very pleasant thing to do
on the live servers.

Therefore i was thinking of writing something to make the assembly reload as
a workaround, maybe it helps - i don't know.

I'm looking for someone who can give me a better idea to solve or workaround
this!

Eliyahu Goldin said:
I have no idea what NFOP is, just be aware that changing the web.config
file causes the application to restart. Don't do it when the application is
running.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant

Joey said:
Hi,

I am using NFOP to generate PDF files from my web pages. The problem is
that when i change the web.config, the page that is using NFOP hangs.

I don't know if this is directly related to NFOP, however i would like to
know if i can make a workaround to solve this. Maybe by unloading the
NFOP assembly and reloading it?

Can anyone help in this, please?

Eliyahu Goldin

I have no idea what NFOP is, just be aware that changing the web.config file
causes the application to restart. Don't do it when the application is
running.

Joey

thanks for the lead! i'll try it out!

Eliyahu Goldin said:
You can setup an application pool in the IIS and recycle it as needed. It
won't affect other applications.

--

Eliyahu Goldin said:
I have no idea what NFOP is, just be aware that changing the web.config
file causes the application to restart. Don't do it when the application
is running.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

Hi,

I am using NFOP to generate PDF files from my web pages. The problem is
that when i change the web.config, the page that is using NFOP hangs.

I don't know if this is directly related to NFOP, however i would like
to know if i can make a workaround to solve this. Maybe by unloading
the NFOP assembly and reloading it?

Can anyone help in this, please?

Joey

unfortunately this didn't solve it, i.e. i still need to restart IIS in
order to get it to work :(

i'm still open for ideas.