page load times

SAZ

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 04 Feb 2008 03:16:01
GMT SAZ scribed:

Native, -north side, Niles area. I s'pose you're one of them sagacious
south-siders, though.
Actually, I now live in the far northwest suburbs, about 50 miles from
Downtown. Born in Skokie (right next door to Niles) in the late 50's
and kept moving further northwest.

Blinky the Shark

Ed said:
Long about last July (2007) I moved my Web site from my "free" Comcast
(ISP) provided space to a hosting service. Many benefits but the one
I'm curious about is page/site load time. One of the changes I made
when I made the move was to change the menu structure, especially that
it (and the footer) now loads via PHP includes. PHP was not available
to me on my ISP Web space. It seems to have greatly speeded up the load
of all the pages.

I can, of course, and have, tested it here. And I've asked a few
friends to test it for me. But I am curious what people around the
world see. My experience is that any page on the site loads /very/
quickly. But I am curious about how that works across different global
locales and ISPs.

If you have the time I will be grateful if you visited my site and take
note of load times.

Main page: 13.667 seconds on my dialup. Los Angeles CA USA.

In addition to the personal feedback from various members of the group,
here's a page what will give you times for various grades of connection.
Plug in your URLs.

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/

Ed Mullen

Blinky said:
Main page: 13.667 seconds on my dialup. Los Angeles CA USA.

In addition to the personal feedback from various members of the group,
here's a page what will give you times for various grades of connection.
Plug in your URLs.

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/

Interesting. That site says the main page should take 14.26 seconds on
a 56k dial up. Pretty close to what you got.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Blinky the Shark

Ed said:
Interesting. That site says the main page should take 14.26 seconds on
a 56k dial up. Pretty close to what you got.

I never checked the site against my local timer. Yeah, that *is* pretty
close. But it was luck -- it's going to vary depending on all of the
hand-offs between the site and here. Not that one additionaly check would
make for a solid case <g>, but I'll check again just for grins...

13.828 sec. Damn...that's spookily close to my other download. :)

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 04 Feb 2008 04:42:09 GMT
SAZ scribed:
Actually, I now live in the far northwest suburbs, about 50 miles from
Downtown. Born in Skokie (right next door to Niles) in the late 50's
and kept moving further northwest.

Sure, been in and thru Skokie many times, usually around Oakton or Lincoln
sts. Had a house in Mundelein later, then went west. (I always wanted to
be a cowboy. <g>)

Ed Mullen

Blinky said:
I never checked the site against my local timer. Yeah, that *is* pretty
close. But it was luck -- it's going to vary depending on all of the
hand-offs between the site and here. Not that one additionaly check would
make for a solid case <g>, but I'll check again just for grins...

13.828 sec. Damn...that's spookily close to my other download. :)

Agreed. And, you know, you can never know how any site or ISP or server
provider has their throughput contained. Meaning, Comcast tells me my
service is 6 Mbps, with burst to 12 Mbps. But, if the site/server I'm
testing against has their throughput throttled down? Or, if it simply
exists on a slower bandwidth node? I won't get what my ISP /can/
deliver, I'll only get what that particular page/site/server etc. will
deliver.

I do get the occasional download that races through at 12 Mbps, more
that go through at about 6 Mbps, but most are throttled down to less
that that. And, yes, at all times of the day I have taken notice of
this. So, while sometimes it could be attributed to neighbors on the
system, I don't think so. I have, anecdotally taken notice of
connection speed at various times of the day. Like, 10 AM, 3 PM, 10 PM,
1 AM, and 3 AM. Don't seem to see any difference that I could attribute
to load on the cable node.

at any rate, my connection is reliable and fast so, what the hell, I'm
happy.
--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

SAZ

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 04 Feb 2008 04:42:09 GMT
SAZ scribed:

Sure, been in and thru Skokie many times, usually around Oakton or Lincoln
sts. Had a house in Mundelein later, then went west. (I always wanted to
be a cowboy. <g>)
Mundelein - I remember it well. I lived in Vernon Hills for a couple of
years during my first marriage.

After that, I started following Rt 90 west (and a little north).

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 05 Feb 2008 14:48:29
GMT SAZ scribed:
Mundelein - I remember it well. I lived in Vernon Hills for a couple
of years during my first marriage.

Ah, good ol' Hawthorn shopping center. I met the foxiest chick there
once...
After that, I started following Rt 90 west (and a little north).

Probably around CL. Anyway, winter here is like May there, and I'm _not_
one of those, uh, beings who misses the 4 seasons. Ciao.

SAZ

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 05 Feb 2008 14:48:29
GMT SAZ scribed:

Ah, good ol' Hawthorn shopping center. I met the foxiest chick there
once...

Probably around CL. Anyway, winter here is like May there, and I'm _not_
one of those, uh, beings who misses the 4 seasons. Ciao.
Actually, just a hair south of CL is where I live.

Predicting 8 - 12" of snow tonight. Why would you ever want to miss out
on this?

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 05 Feb 2008 21:01:19
GMT SAZ scribed:
Actually, just a hair south of CL is where I live.

Predicting 8 - 12" of snow tonight. Why would you ever want to miss
out on this?

Oh yeah - the proverbial "Winter Wonderland" they use to fool kinds and
romantics. Thanks, but no thanks.

Actually, it's been kinda lousy here for this time of year, too. -Rainy,
highs in the 50's. Normal (high) is 72. I've been thinking about Costa
Rica...

SAZ

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 05 Feb 2008 21:01:19
GMT SAZ scribed:

Oh yeah - the proverbial "Winter Wonderland" they use to fool kinds and
romantics. Thanks, but no thanks.

Actually, it's been kinda lousy here for this time of year, too. -Rainy,
highs in the 50's. Normal (high) is 72. I've been thinking about Costa
Rica...
I'm jealous of 50's. Its still snowing a heavy, wet snow. We got 8" so
far with 2 - 3 more predicted before it all ends later tonight.