Perl PDF modules - help please

Geoff Wilkins

Hi all.

I'm trying to write a script which will insert text into a PDF template
file and output a new PDF file.

I can do this with PDF:Reuse - but I have to specify the co-ordinates
for where the text should appear. What I want, instead, is to be able
to replace "place-holders" in the template file with the text.

Can any one suggest a Perl PDF module which will help with this? Or any
other way of doing it?

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Geoff said:
Thanks Gunnar. I hope someone else can be more helpful.

By both multi-posting and failing to acknowledge this break of the
netiquette, you have reduced the chances to get help.

Andrew DeFaria

Gunnar said:
By both multi-posting and failing to acknowledge this break of the
netiquette, you have reduced the chances to get help.

How petty! People make mistakes. And sometimes people just don't agree
with the convention. That does not make them unworthy of assistance.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Andrew said:
How petty!
So?

People make mistakes.

Of course. And if followed by a simple "sorry, didn't know that" or
something to that effect, no sensible person would mind.
And sometimes people just don't agree with the convention. That
does not make them unworthy of assistance.

Deliberately breaking the netiquette does make the culprits unworthy
of assistance - in the eyes of many of those who whould have been able
to assist.

This is Usenet. Learn to behave yourself here, or go elsewhere. ;-)

Peter Hickman

Andrew said:
How petty! People make mistakes. And sometimes people just don't agree
with the convention. That does not make them unworthy of assistance.

If you want people to help you then it behoves you to 'fit in', so to speak.

Think of it as the price of other peoples time and effort that you are asking for.

Brian McCauley

Gunnar said:
Deliberately breaking the netiquette does make the culprits unworthy
of assistance - in the eyes of many of those who whould have been able
to assist.

To someone who doesn't understand netiquette Gunnar's statement may
still sound like "those who whould have been able to assist" are being
petty.

To understand why this is not the case one needs to appreciate the
reasons behind the rules of netequette. Most of rules of netiquette
that we bang on about here boil down to one simple convention: "the time
freely given to assist others should be valued and must not be
squandered"[1].

Once one realises this fact it's a fairly reasonable step to conclude
that people who "just don't agree with the convention" are indeed
unworthy of assistance.

[1] If you do not understand how multi-posting squanders this time then
please see the document Gunnar mentioned previously in this thread.

http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/crospost.html

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

cftygv said:
A pity you didn't heed your own advice!

A pity you didn't read the document to which I provided a link. If you
had, you would have learned to distinguish between cross-posting and
multi-posting, and you wouldn't have made a fool of yourself by
posting that comment.

cftygv

Gunnar said:
A pity you didn't read the document to which I provided a link. If you
had, you would have learned to distinguish between cross-posting and
multi-posting, and you wouldn't have made a fool of yourself by
posting that comment.

And some schools of thought say you shouldn't crosspost either but if
you really feel the need to then set followups to one group.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

cftygv said:
And some schools of thought say you shouldn't crosspost either but
if you really feel the need to then set followups to one group.

The OP had multi-posted; I cross-posted in an attempt to call people's
attention to it in both groups, and possibly prevent that somebody
made efforts to help in one group while unaware of that aspect(s)
being covered in the other group. AFAIK, that reason for posting is
not covered in any "school of thought".

Sure, if I had anticipated this long discussion, I would have set
follow-up to one group.

Tad McClellan

Geoff Wilkins said:
Thanks Gunnar. I hope someone else can be more helpful.

Just because it does not help _you_ does not mean that it
was not helpful. You seem rather self-centered...

It will help any reader who would prefer to not be seen as rude.

I found Gunnar's post to be helpful.

There are too many daily posts here to read them all so I rely
on automated filtering of articles.

Adding another entry for the folks who insist on being rude helps
reduce my work load, which in turn helps to provide more time
for helping folks.

Thanks Gunnar for flushing out another me-me-me poster to ignore!

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Andrew said:
I guess you are petty...

And closed minded...

And you are apparently just another pitiful troll. Replying to you was
a pure waste of time.

Matt Garrish

cftygv said:

And some people consider it rude to chop the attribution lines from
postings.

I personally have no problem with cross-posting if it's on-topic to *all*
the groups (i.e., asking a Perl question in clpm, alt.perl, etc.). At least
then the responses are available in all the groups' archives. Cross-posting
becomes a nuisance, however, when it's used for trolling or throwing a wide
net because a person hasn't done their homework.

Matt

Geoff Wilkins

Thanks for your help, Bill - and I'm happy to have given the rest of you
something to occupy your time with. Bye for now.

Eugene Mikheyev

And you are apparently just another pitiful troll. Replying to you was
a pure waste of time.
But you did that. So you do have a time to waste, don't you? :)

Tintin

Andrew DeFaria said:
Brian said:
To understand why this is not the case one needs to appreciate the
reasons behind the rules of netequette. Most of rules of netiquette
that we bang on about here boil down to one simple convention: "the
time freely given to assist others should be valued and must not be
squandered"[1].

And some boil down to "That's the way we've always done it so we'll just
keep doing it that way".

And the reason they keep doing it that way, is that it is reasonable,
sensible and it makes things fairer and easier.