[perl-python] 20050115, for statement

Xah Lee

© # this is an example of for statement
© # the % symbol calculates the remainder
© # of division.
© # the range(m,n) function
© # gives a list from m to n-1.
©
© a = range(1,51)
© for x in a:
© if x % 2 == 0:
© print x, 'even'
©
© # note that in this example, for goes over a list.
© # each time making x the value of the element.
©
© ------------------------------------
© # this is similar code in perl
©
© @a=(1..50);
© for $x (@a) {
© if ( $x%2 ==0){
© print $x, " even\n";
© }}
©
© # PS each daily tip can be run. Just
© # copy the python part and save to a
© # file and run it as "python
© # file.py". Try it.
©
©
© Note: this post is from the Perl-Python
© a-day mailing list at
© http://groups.yahoo.com/group/perl-python/
© to subscribe, send an email to
© (e-mail address removed) if
© you are reading it on a web page,
© program examples may not run because
© groups.google.com changes the post slightly.
©
© Xah
© (e-mail address removed)
© http://xahlee.org/PageTwo_dir/more.html

Michael Hoffman

Xah said:
© a = range(1,51)
© for x in a:
© if x % 2 == 0:
© print x, 'even'

Now he's mixing tabs and spaces. Hideous.

Are you doing things wrong on purpose?

Jeremy Bowers

Now he's mixing tabs and spaces. Hideous.

Are you doing things wrong on purpose?

I think the most exciting thing is the breath-taking pace he has chosen. I
mean, wow, we've been going for what, five days now and we're up to for
loops? Woo!

So far, even for his stated purpose, he's at negative value vs. just
reading even the simplest tutorials for the languages. The value in
Perl<->Python documentation is to help with idiom translation, syntax is
truly trivial. At the rate he's going, he'll get out of Negative Value and
start entering Colossal Waste Of Time in about a month.

So good on you, Xah Lee. The world needs more people producing things of
negative value and posting them everywhere they can. Wouldn't want The
Masses (TM) to find the good resources, learn, and subsequently compete
with people who know things already.

(Hell, five days into Python and some people are already producing working
Backgammon games (I think that was the post last week), and Xah Lee here
is still on for loops! Woo! Go Xah!)

Steve Holden

Michael said:
Now he's mixing tabs and spaces. Hideous.

Are you doing things wrong on purpose?

Actually Xah is to be commended, since he's united the Perl and Python
camps. Both agree he's a nuisance who is ill-informed about Perl *and*
Python ;-)

I can only presume it's egocentricity that keeps him cross-posting this
nonsense to c.l.py and c.l.pe.misc despite the many deficiencies that
have been remarked upon in both newsgroups.

fraternal-greetings-to-the-perl-wordl-ly y'rs - steve

BrainDead

Steve said:
Actually Xah is to be commended, since he's united the Perl and Python
camps. Both agree he's a nuisance who is ill-informed about Perl *and*
Python ;-)

I can only presume it's egocentricity that keeps him cross-posting this
nonsense to c.l.py and c.l.pe.misc despite the many deficiencies that
have been remarked upon in both newsgroups.

fraternal-greetings-to-the-perl-wordl-ly y'rs - steve

I humbly suggest that Xah Lee Foxtrot Oscar, failing that would he/she
stand up as the voice is rather muffled. Hardly original I know, but
this crap is getting up my nose.

I would much rather read the Timbot discussing things which mention the
best operating system in the world, i.e. VMS, which for the uninitiated
stands for Very Much Safer.

Mark Lawrence.

Peter Hansen

Jeremy said:
(Hell, five days into Python and some people are already producing working
Backgammon games (I think that was the post last week), and Xah Lee here
is still on for loops! Woo! Go Xah!)

Mah Jongg, actually (if we're thinking of the same post), which
name is often applied in the world of computer games to a what
amounts to the old game of "Concentration" (rather than the real
Mah Jongg which bears no more resemblance to the computerized
version than Bridge bears to Go Fish). The player merely turns
over cards/tiles two at a time and any identical pairs are removed.
A backgammon game, with the computer actually playing against a
human and all the logic that entails, would be much more sophisticated,
and rather more work.

....not to diminish the impressiveness of someone new to Python
building a visually attractive GUI application in only a few days
and delivering it to the web which in several ways is far more
than I've contributed in over five years. ;-) (Doffs hat to the
former newbie who achieved this.)

-Peter